Forum / Password Vault Manager - Bug Report

PVM - Copy Username / Copy Password / Copy Username & Password sometimes not working correct

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Devolutions-Team,

We noticed when working with a local installation of PVM the copy/paste functions don't work reliable when pasted to an RDP session.
We run the newst version of PVM 7.7.0 and RDM 11.7.2.0 (64bit). RDM runs as remote app, while PVM is locally executed. Inside RDM there is a session to a windows 2012 R2 Server.

It's working totaly perfect when pasted directly locally in any application..for exmaple a browser.
By unreliable i mean the following behavior:
Click on copy username & password
Paste:
a) i get nothing
b) i get the password
c) i get the username

Do you have any idea where this issue could have it's origin?

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Could you try to change the Clipboard copy method to Legacy in File -> Options -> General to see if that help.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello Jean-Francois,

I changed the clipboard copy method and performed some tests after:

- The button "Copy Username" seams to work fine
- The button "Copy Password" seams to work fine as well
- The button "Copy Username & Password" has still the same behavior as described in the previous post.

Are you able to reproduce it on your side or is it only in our environment?

Thank you and best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

I am not able to reproduce your issue in my environment.

However, I had opened a ticket to our engineering department so that they can have a look at this.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

I have reproduced your Issue for Copy Username and password.

If you use "Copy Username and password" you need to paste 2 time to get the full result.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for your answer. Yes this is absolutely clear but unfortunately not working as expected. Let me specify the behavior a bit more detailed:

Click on copy username & password
First Paste:
a) i get nothing
b) i get the password
c) i get the username

When I do a second past I just get nothing. It doesn't matter what was the result of the first paste. But this is only the case if I try to "copy username & password" from my local PVM and then try to paste it over RDP to a remote server session.

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

My mistake, I got it all wrong. I will see if I can reproduce your issue with the different options offered with the clipboard.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi again,

I have been able to reproduce your issue, I just want to make sure we both have the same behavior. Here is what I did.

Have both PVM and RDM run localy, connect to an embedded server 2012 R2 session on RDM then use "Copy username and password" from credentials entry in PVM then paste it in the session at the login screen of the server 2012 R2.

Paste

a) I get notting
b) I get the password
c) I get notting

If this is your issue, I have oppened a ticket to our engineering department so they can have a look at this.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for your tests and your answer. The only thing I did a bit different was the location of the paste. I didn't paste it at the Windows login screen because the sign-in goes automatically with RDM. I did just paste the username and password to an opened IE within the session on the server.
I even tried to just paste the username and password to a notepad within the RDP session.

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Alexandre has not been able to reproduce your exact issue, but the one that he mentioned in his post has been addressed to our engineering department.
Maybe this will help the resolution of your issue as well.

That being said, do you encounter the paste issue using the mouse (Right-click + Paste), the keyboard (CTRL + V) or both?

If you are using the Copy Username & Password button in RDM instead of PVM, do you encounter the same issue?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Jean-Francois,

It doesn't matter if I do a right-click + parte or if I use the keyboard. I normally use the keyboard but I tested it with the mouse as well.

And the behavior is exactly the same if I copy the username & password from the RDM instead of PVM.

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

It was never asked but could you please send us a small video of the issue? There's a tool in Help called Record.

You can either attach it to the forum or sent it to support@devolutions.net .

Having a visual depiction of your issue will help us isolate it.

Best Regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello Marc,

I did make a video of the issue. The tool is just recording the RDM and what you cant see is if I switch over to the PVM and click on "Copy Username & Password".

As you can see pasting to a notepad is working fine but as soon as I paste it to IE the behavior is really strange. And it doesn't matter which page I have open within IE.

If you want we can do a short TeamViewer session where I can show you the behavior.

Best regards,
AP_ops

copy_paste_issue.mp4
Clock4 yrs

Hi again,

I am now able to reproduce your issue. I'm going to have someone to look into this because I can paste correctly in the address bar of IE but when I use certain website where I have to put in credentials, I get the same problem as you. I will update the engineering team on the issue, see if we can get a fix.

Would it be possible for you to use another browser for a temporary workaround solution?

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

I've talked with the engineering team and we've got a possible fix for you. Would you mind to try these settings on either PVM or RDM depending of which application you are using ''Copy username and password''.

Then go in File > Options and set your clipboard options as the screenshot shows below.

This should do the trick, I've tested it myslef. smile

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clipboard setting1.jpg
Clock4 yrs

Hi Alexandre,

I tested it right now and it seems to work smile

Just wondering, what does this exactly change and why is it solving the issue?

Thank's a lot for your help.

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

@AP_ops,

To properly answer your question I must first describe how the clipboard works in RDM (Legacy & Secure). Warning it's boring and long. The short answer to your question is "timing".

In .net the clipboard is a class where you read/write of objects/text to the clipboard buffer (GetText/SetText for example). The class is limited and doesn't allow us fully utilize the clipboards power. We use the built in .net class when in Legacy mode. So if you were to profile the memory of your OS you would eventually find the username/password in memory somewhere.

As for the Secure mode, we use the Windows Clipboard API directly. If you read through the documentation, you will see clipboard formats & clipboard operations. In this mode we tell the clipboard buffer that we have something to supply to the clipboard and what format we support it in. We then wait to see if the clipboard asks us for the data. Note: the username/password is not in the clipboard buffer at this point, hence more secure. Once we get a paste request notification we supply the text and clear it out after X milliseconds (10 ms default, the setting you changed to 100ms). Why 10ms, well that is just enough to paste it once but not twice, even if you keep CTRL+V pressed in NotePad for example you will only paste it once. With 100ms you might be able to paste it a few times. The idea is the less time the actual password is in memory, less chance of it being seen by other apps or via memory scan. So when you click the "Copy username & password" we first notify the clipboard of the intention of paste, once an app references the clipboard we supply the username, we wait 10ms (or 100ms in your case) and start the loop again for the password. If anyone gets in the way of the clipboard, not respecting the clipboard chain or access the clipboard (clipboard monitor) then it will break the multi-copy paste ability of RDM. On systems where this is the case, the user has no choice but to use the legacy mode and hide/disable the "Copy username & password" button.

To come back to your question: Just wondering, what does this exactly change and why is it solving the issue? The answer is still "timing" it seems that the 10ms before we flush the buffer and start over with the password wasn't long enough for the RDP client to take the value and send through the RDP client to the destination machine... At least that is the theory.

I'm just happy it works. Was the explanation helpful?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane,

Thank you for your long and boring answer wink. Still interesting to see how it works and how such a small change have such a big behavior.

Thank's a lot for your help.

Best regards,
AP_ops

Clock4 yrs

OK I have the same issue. In my cat when clicking copy login & pwd, the first past pasts the pws no login. Only does this in browser, in notepad its ok

I have tried changing the delay to 100 and 200 but no change and also alternating between legacy and paste once (secure)

Clock3 yrs

@Grant Hammond,

What version of PVM are you using? Is it 8.6.0.0?

What type of data source are you using?

My Clipboard settings look like the following
2017+08+11+08+16+15

Have you tried the Copy Username & Copy Password button on a public URL? If yes, could you provide us that URL so that we can test please.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

2017-08-11_08-16-15.jpg
Clock3 yrs