Forum / Wayk Now - Support

Problems running due to domain policies

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Some domains do not allow applications to run from the AppData\Roaming folder. This causes the application to not run. You receive an error message "Wayk Now failed to launch". You also see in the event logs "Access to WaykNow64.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {...} placed on path C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\*\*.exe"

Clock3 yrs

64-bit app crashes/doesn't open in Windows 10 Professional.

Faulting application name: WaykNow64.exe, version: 0.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x58040182
Faulting module name: WaykNow64.exe, version: 0.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x58040182
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000029e50
Faulting process id: 0x2f84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d228b0ad273a4c
Faulting application path: C:\Users\{username}\Downloads\WaykNow64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\{username}\Downloads\WaykNow64.exe
Report Id: 1b7c7345-246a-4894-b17b-65dc449d2247
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Clock3 yrs

Hi Matthew,

For the software restriction policy, the workaround is to use the unpacked executables directly. Maybe it is a bit too early to offer Wayk Now only in its packed form. I didn't know about such policies, and there is an amount of work required to detect their presence and work around them.

https://blog.brankovucinec.com/2014/10/24/use-software-restriction-policies-to-block-viruses-and-malware/

For the short term, I think we will simply offer the unpacked versions (32 or 64-bit executables). I will need some more time to try and figure out what is possibly going wrong in your environment when running the unpacked executable. I will let you know as soon as I have something.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Getting the exact same error as Matthew, trying to run the unpacked version, from the start of this thread (x64). Have also tried to run it as admin, same error.

Clock3 yrs

We have identified the function where the crash occurs, but I am unsure what could a crash at that location. I have added some code to make it more robust, but I am not convinced it would be enough to fix the issue. The crash happens when opening listeners for the server on the different detected network interfaces. If someone can run "ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt" and send back the output file, it could give me a hint about the source the problem.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Here is a print out from ipconfig

ipconfig.txt
Clock3 yrs

I have uploaded the 0.9.1.0 beta bug fix release here:
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic26803-wayk-now-beta-update.aspx?MessageID=98237#post98237

WaykNow.zip contains the unpacked versions (WaykNow32.exe, WaykNow64.exe) that should work fine with the restricted executable path policies. Alternatively, I have added an option to extract the files from WaykNow.exe with --extract as a command-line option. I will work on a better solution, but for now at least it should run.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs