Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Windows 10 & Mac Client - Error 131084

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

RDM Version: Enterprise, Version 3.5.4.2
Target RD Machine: Windows 10 64-bit Version 1607, Build 14393.51
Error: 131084, Failed to connect to the host

Issue: Unable to connect from OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan) to Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise

Attempted to disable NLA and reconnect. Still receive error 131084.

Enabled debugging with the following parameters:
Filter: com.freerdp.*Big Grinebug
File path: (local home directory)/w10.log
Debug Level in preferences is set to 6143 (all flags set)

No debug log is generated.

Attempted to import RD certificate and granted full trust in OS X Keychain.

Using embedded RDP in RDM.

Regular Microsoft RDP client has no issues connecting.

Clock4 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Are you using the host name or the IP address when connecting to your Windows 10 machine?

Mac often seems to have difficulty resolving host name in the same format they are used in Windows. In my case a connection with the host name in Windows will connect successfully and giving me an error 131084 in Mac.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

Thanks for responding. I've tried both the fully qualified hostname and IP address connecting to the host. Both result in 131084. I'd like to know why it's throwing an error but for some reason I can't get the software to generate any type of debug log.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

The log works on my side.

Does the file w10.log already exists at said directory? Do you have write permission on it? Or do you have write permission on parent folders?

Maybe there is something in your application log. Could you send it to me via private message. You can find it in the app this way: Help > View Application Log > Click Open. There should be a RemoteDesktopManager.log.

Best regards

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Yes, I do have read and write access to the file. I touched it. I own the directory where the file is being written to.

$ touch w10.log
$ echo "hello world" > w10.log
$ cat w10.log
hello world

The program refuses to put anything in the log file.

I'll PM you and send the application log. It's more of the same error message.

Thank you.

Clock4 yrs

I wanted to post an update here that I was able to connect via IP address but not by hostname. I've verified the hostname exists in DNS.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Are you able to ping the host name in the Terminal?

We'll try to see if could try to resolve the host name ourself.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

The machine isn't publicly available and I've used the necessary tools such as 'host' or 'dig' from Xterm to verify the DNS is correct. I am able to ping the host.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Have you tried with the Microsoft Remote Desktop client? Does it works with the host name?

If you have it installed, you can open an already existing session in external mode:
OpenExternal

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

OpenExternal.png
Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

In my original post, I stated the Microsoft RDP client has no issues connecting. It is only the embedded/tabbed configuration which presently has the issue.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Sorry, I've missed that.

We'll look it up.

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

If you need me to run any additional tests, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help!

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

I just tested on 10.10 (Yosemite) and was able to connect by IP and Hostname. I have another co-worker who has tested this on his OS X machine.
On 10.11, I am only able to connect by IP address. Perhaps is there something different on 10.11 (El Capitan) security-wise?

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

It's a possibility. They did change a lot of security related things between Yosemite and El Capitan.

Regardless, if you're able to ping it and the Microsoft Remote Desktop client can connect, it means the host name can be resolved. I'll try something and come back to you.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Could you try something out for me. I've created a small command line tool to try and resolve addresses from host name to see if I can resolve them myself.

It should be attached to this post.

To use it, simply enter the following line in a terminal window: (path to NetworkResolver folder)/NetworkResolver -name (hostname).

Ex.: ~/Desktop/NetworkResolver -name macmini2.local.

If it succeed, it should print addresses.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

NetworkResolver.zip
Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

Yes, it does resolve and return the correct IP address.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Since this works, I intend to add an option to resolve the hostname to an IP address before connecting in RDP connections with a default value in the Preferences.

Would it be fine with you?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Three of us are testing Remote Desktop Manger running on Mac OS El Capitan. All of us can successfully access one of three Windows 2008 servers, however, we all get the same 131084 error when trying to access the other two servers. The successful access is to a clone of one of the other servers that we cannot access.
The log contains several entries [9/2/2016 12:59:02 PM]ERROR SILENT Failed to connect to the host (131084).

The NetworkResolver works for all three machines.

I tried using the IP address and I am still getting the 131084 error.

I can successfully remote to all servers from Windows 7 client using Microsoft RDP Client

Chris

Clock4 yrs

@Chris,

Have you tried to check/uncheck the NLA option in the Connection tab of your RDP session?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Xavier,

Yes that change would be fine. I would still like to determine why my RDM embedded client isnt logging anything in debug.

Ryan

Clock4 yrs

Hi Ryan,

I'm still wondering about this myself. There is some things you could try like changing the path of the log, creating an empty file with the name and extension at the set path.

If you delete the log file and start your session, does it create an empty log file?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

@Jean-Fraçois,

I just tried the connection with the NLA option checked. We have recently switched to smart card authentication so I had it unchecked. The server responded with account "The user cannot connect to the server due to insufficient access privileges." (Not a surprise but I am guessing that this indicates some communication between the client and server.)

IT is checking for configuration differences.

Chris

Clock4 yrs

@Jean-François,

The issue was a setting in the servers' control panel. Control Panel >> System >> Remote settings. The Remote Desktop setting was changed to "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop..."

Chris

Clock4 yrs

@Chris

Thank you for your reply.

Glad that is now working.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs