Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Too Many Tabs = Protocol Error?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I've noticed that if I open several tabs, around 5 or 6, I can no longer open any new tabs. When I try I receive the following error:

"Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." --Please see attached screenshot.

I can't get any of the remote desktop connections to work. If I close some open tabs, then I can once again connect to another computer. However, even when Remote Desktop Manager can't open any more Remote Desktop connections, I can manually connect to more computers by using mstsc.exe outside of Remote Desktop Manager. So that makes me think the error lies with Remote Desktop Manager.

Some more detail in case it is helpful: I'm not sure if the issue is memory related? By the time Remote Desktop Manager stops connecting to new computers it is using about 700-900 MB of RAM. That's not a problem for my computer as I still have many GB of RAM free, but may be the program doesn't like to use so much memory? Another factor might be my monitor size? I am connecting to Remote Desktops with a resolution of 2300x1400. Perhaps it can't handle many large remote desktop connections?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

p.s. Love the program otherwise, its really good.

SI 2013.02.18 - 04.40.51 PM.jpg
Clock7 yrs

Hi,
This is a know issue and we are still trying to find a solution. The problem is that Windows8 and Windows 2012 take about 150/200MB per connection. For now RDM is a 32 bit application and this is why we get the limitation. RDCMan has the same exact issue.

This is very annoying and we are aware of that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I understand, hopefully a fix can be worked out! A x64 version would be great but I imagine that is a lot of work.

Thanks,
Paul

Clock7 yrs

The problem with a x64 is that we have so many technology integrated, it's complex. However this is on the roadmap for sure.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

for the time being you can try trick the application to use more memory, running this neat tool against the executable http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556. It worked for me on me on windows 8, right now I'm able to actually open more than 4 tabs at a time with RDM using around 1242MB of RAM with 11 tabs opened.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
Thank you very much for the tip. We are currently working on a x64 version of RDM. We expect a beta in the middle of March.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
I have integrated this change in the build system. The next beta will be Large Address Aware.

Thank you again

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Great news David! It's incredible it allocates so much memory at the start of the session and later it runs just with 350mb or so with all sessions opened.

Clock7 yrs

The large address aware program has worked for me as well. I haven't experienced a crash yet today and I have 9 tabs open right now. RDM is using about 1,400 MB of RAM without trouble.

Clock7 yrs

For those of you who need to take advantage of that capability you must adjust your OS. Please read
http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/troubleshooting_largememoryawa.htm

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
The new beta is released.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I've installed the new beta and it seems to run fine, I've managed to reach 500+ MB memory usage whereas previously no more new connections were possible at 400MB (which doesn't seem much).
That's with Windows 8 Pro x64.
Wouldn't it be possible otherwise to launch rdp connections as separate processes ? It might also improve the stability of the program...

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
We are currently working on the 64bit version of RDM. For this version we have to create a launcher for some connection type that are incompatible with 64. This is the first step for a multi-process launcher even in 32 bit.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Ok, that's good to know, keep up the good work smile

Clock7 yrs

can you provide a status if this protocol error issue has been resolved in a newer version?

Clock7 yrs

I don't think that Microsoft is gone a fix anything. We can only find workaround like the 64bit version or integrate FreeRDP as a replacement
edited by dhervieux on 4/2/2013

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I didn't mean microsoft. Has this been fixed in RDM? Your reply wasn't really an answer.
If a workaround is a 64bit version, then is the 64bit version complete?

Clock7 yrs

Ok,
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The 64bit version will be available this summer but we have updated the version 8.1 to be Large Memory Aware

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/troubleshooting_largememoryawa.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

any update on the 64bit version?

Clock6 yrs

This is already implemented and it will be included in the next beta

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs