Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Icon if a VPN is connected

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

it would be a nice feature if a icon in the bottom status bar is shown if a VPN tunnel is open / connected .. like the recording icon.. (and maybe can manual disconnect on click on it)

What do you think about it? wink

Regards,
Min

Clock3 yrs

Which VPN exactly? Any VPN opened for a session?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Yes, any VPN that from RDM initiated.. I don`t know if it`s possible for a Forti Client SSL for example, but for a Microsoft VPN it would be nice

Clock3 yrs

Hi,
I've added it to our todo list.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thanks David!

Background for this inquiry: if you use the phonebook document and the VPN connection is connected, the status is not shown in the charms bar from the network connections (on windows 10) only in the control panel --> network connections..
so a small icon in the status bar are much comfortable as to navigate to the control panel smile

Thanks again, David!

Clock3 yrs

Hello David,

just wanted to ask about the status from this request wink

Thanks!

Clock2 yrs

Still on the list. That should be implemented soon (early January)

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
In the next build there should be an icon in the status bar when a VPN is connected.

Regards

Samuel Baker

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello!

Perfect smile

Thanks for the update"

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Hello!

Is there are extra / new setting that must be activated? Tried in the Beta (12.0.10.0) 2 different VPN types (FortiSSL and Microsoft VPN) and in both scenarios no icon was shown.

Thanks!

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

No, the icon in the status bar will show if RDM detects that at least 1 VPN is opened, there is no additional setting to change.

Due to how Forticlient works, it is currently impossible for RDM to know if it is opened.
For Microsoft VPN, we use the following API from rasapi32.dll https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa377503(v=vs.85).aspx I'm not sure why this doesn't work, are you running RDM in administrator/64bits?

We plan to have a workaround for both of these issues in the near future though.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello Hubert,

thanks for your answer - Yes, we tried in 32 & 64 - as user and administrator mode - the icon just do not want to show up.. dunno

Can you please provide a screenshot how the icon should be displayed..

Thanks!

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

I attached a screenshot showing the icon appearing when I have an OpenVPN entry opened, it is at the bottom right of RDM.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2017-01-24 8-16-18 AM.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Thanks for that!

Tried it just again.. no icon in the status bar.. strange behaviour Whaaaaa?

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

One last chance.. is it possible that the icon not shown because i had some expired entries (and also the icon in the status bar) ?

2017-01-24 21_15_33-Neue Benachrichtigung.png
Clock2 yrs

Expired entries shouldn't affect the visibility of the icon.

If your entry doesn't have and keep the green play button, then it won't be considered as running by RDM:
2017 01 24 3 22 46 PM

Again though, we'll try to implement a workaround for this issue in the near future.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2017-01-24 3-22-46 PM.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Hubert,
now the behaviour is reproducible! worship
i tried the whole time with a entry that has inherit a VPN connection (like if no ping open VPN Tunnel) - this works NOT
If I checked only the VPN and connect i manually, the icon is shown..
Maybe helpful for the workaround that you would implement in the future - Would be nice if this also works for RDP etc. entries that has a vpn as inherit settings..
( last but not least - my personal opinion - it would be nice if the icon are green for a succesfull VPN connection smile )

Anyway - thanks four work on this "luxury" issue Wave

Clock2 yrs

..Andy maybe (for the workaround in the feature) could it also possible if a double click on the icon, the VPN would be closed or focused on the open VPN entry in the navigation panel in RDM? Cool

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Thanks for the feedback, Min, we'll keep this in mind when we improve the "VPN connected" icon functionality. smile

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs