Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

Initiate Load From Inventory via Powershell

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Ran a few more tests. Definitely seems like there's an issues (maybe user-related) to how the cmdlet handles the different credential settings. It would be great if the cmdlet accepted PS credential objects as an option. Any chance this is on your feature roadmap?

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

We added the credentials resolving for the cmdlet Invoke-RDMLoadFromInventorySession.

It's available in RDM 12.6.7.0.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Awesome. Thanks Olivier. Any chance the cmdlet will support PS credential objects in the future?

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

I can understand that this parameter would be useful in the case you have chosen "prompt for credentials" in your session for example.

In the case the session already has credentials and you would provide credentials with the parameter, the credentials from the parameter will take priority over the credentials already in the session.

Is it the way you were thinking of it?

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Correct. Here's the background...

Our company has a centralized Identity and Access Management (IAM) security tool that requires a special configuration to open an RDP session. The user's credentials (what's stored in RDM) are not the credentials actually used for the RDP session. For example if a user (i.e. 'CORP\bob') wants to remote to a server, he authenticates to the IAM tool and then the IAM tool establishes the connection with a different account associated with his username (i.e. 'CORP\IAM_bob'). 'CORP\bob' cannot RDP directly to the server. Our RDM sessions are set up to jump this hurdle and the end users are none the wiser.

My team uses service accounts for our automation, and these accounts have permission to connect directly to our servers (bypass IAM access) so I'd like to use these credentials for invoking 'Invoke-RDMLoadFromInventorySession'. If I can't pass in a PS credential object, the only other option I have (I think) is to duplicate our existing session tree and have all the entries use one of our automation accounts.

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation.

We will add this to our TODO list.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Excellent! Much appreciated smile

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

We added the parameter Credential in Invoke-RDMLoadInventoryFromSession.

Ex:

$session = Get-RDMSession -Name 'TESTSERVER'
$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("username", (ConvertTo-SecureString "password" -AsPlainText -Force))
Invoke-RDMLoadFromInventorySession -Session $session -Credential $mycreds -Verbose

It will be available in the next RDM version.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thanks Olivier. Being able to use alternate credentials will be extremely helpful. I'm looking forward to the next release!

Clock3 yrs