Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Windows key passed to OS X AND remote session & Win-X not passed at all

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

In RDM Mac, if the keyboard is set to passthrough the Windows key, when a session has the focus, if a Mac Cmd-key combo, such as Cmd-Space, is entered, RDM also passes the Cmd key through. This is astonishingly annoying and has been this way for many releases. As you can see in the screenshot below, using the Mac keyboard to bring up Spotlight search while a session has the focus also passes (at least) the Cmd key to the session.

Plus, Windows-X (what you'd expect to be Cmd-X) isn't passed at all.

This really needs to be fixed or at least a passable workaround.

Thanks.

2016+04+20+09+36+30
2016+04+20+09+33+34

2016-04-20_09-36-30.jpg
2016-04-20_09-33-34.jpg
Clock4 yrs

Hi yobyot,

For the cmd+space passing the cmd key to your windows we are looking for a solution but we are not there yet. The only hint I can give you right-now is to set the focus on something else before calling up the spotlight search.

For the Windows+X shortcut you are currently having a shortcut conflict.
Since the Windows key copy/cut/paste is checked in your Local Resources configuration a ctrl+x is send to the windows machine.
Simply uncheck it and you'll get the Power User Menu

Dashboard+20160420

Best Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Dashboard 20160420.png
Clock4 yrs

Thanks.

But the right way out of the second problem is to permit the Windows-X (or Cmd-X) key to be mapped to something else. For example, running RDM Windows in Parallels on a Mac, the Cmd-X/V/Y keys are mapped to (Windows) Ctrl-X/V/Y and one can map the "naked" OS X Cmd key to something else (in my case, I use Option-cmd). This allows any Windows + other key combination.

Your suggest to not map the clipboard management keys is like shooting oneself in the foot. It gives one a good excuse for not being able to walk but hurts like hell. Why should an RDM Mac user not either either (broken) Windows key passthrough OR Windows clipboard shortcuts. BOTH are absolutely necessary to effectively use the keyboard with Windows.

For experienced admins, using the mouse slows you down.

Clock4 yrs

Hi yobyot,

Checking or Unchecking Windows key copy/cut/paste doesn't prevent the ctrl+c/x/v from working. This allow mac user to keep there habit for those shortcuts. I know it's not ideal but it should allow you be able to work with most of the keyboard shortcuts you need.

Allowing users to configure there own shortcut list is on our todo list and I will signify your interest in the feature.

Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Only an engineer could suggest that it's acceptable to NOT have the Windows clipboard keyboard shortcuts working so that Mac users could "keep their habits."

You suggestion means I a user cannot use ANY keyboard shortcuts to paste something into the Mac RDP session.

For a user accustomed to using the keyboard, this "workaround" (actually, a loss of functionality) renders RDM Mac almost useless.

It's been this way in RDM Mac since the beta. How can't it not have risen to the top of the to-be-implemented features list?

Clock4 yrs

I'm sorry if my last post was not clear.
While your RDP session is active your mac and remote session clipboard are synchronized.
Which mean that you can use ctrl+c/x in your remote session to put something in the mac and windows clipboard.
You can also use ctrl+v in your remote session to paste something from the clipboard to the RDP session even if you copied it from your Mac.

As an example: I can copy a text from a Mac Text Editor using cmd+c and paste it in my Mac RDP session using ctrl+v.

As for the shortcut configuration it will be added in version 4.0 of Remote Desktop Manager for Mac.

Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I get it -- but that's about as natural as pigs flying. You should experiment with Parallels -- it manages Cmd-c/v/y/x perfectly. Works in OS X, works in Windows and doesn't stupidly send the keystrokes to the Windows vm unless it has the focus.

Clock4 yrs

We will look into that.

Thank you for your feedback

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs