Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Create desktop shortcut for session/group

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Is it somehow possible to create desktop shortcuts for a single session or a session group? As we want to integrate RDM in our existing CRM system, this would be really helpful. So we could just drag & drop a session or a group from RDM onto the desktop and then drag & drop it into the CRM system.
At the moment we use Siebekl CRM by Oracle, but we will perhaps change to Microsoft Dynamics CRM in the near future.

Or does anybody have other helpful hints or tips for this?

Greetings from Germany,
David S.

Clock6 yrs

yes you can create a shortcut:
either in the settings of each sesstion (last tab)
or by creating them manually e.g. with the rdm powershell modul using the following commandline parameters:
http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?installation_commandlinearguments.htm
the follwoing scripts create a shortcut for every session to the startmenu
$list = get-RDM-DataSource
Set-RDM-DataSource $list.id
$datasourceid = $list.ID
$list = get-RDM-Session
$RunIn = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\"
$ExeName = "RemoteDesktopManager.exe"
ForEach ($entry in $list) {
$Ziel = $RunIn + $ExeName
$Arguments = " /Datasource:" + $datasourceid + " /Session:"+$entry.ID
$Name = $entry.Name + " (" + $entry.Group + ")"
$wshShellObject = New-Object -com WScript.Shell
$wshShellLink = $wshShellObject.CreateShortcut("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\RDM\" + $Name + ".lnk")
$wshShellLink.TargetPath = $Ziel
$wshShellLink.Arguments = $Arguments
$wshShellLink.WindowStyle = 1
$wshShellLink.IconLocation = $RunIn + $ExeName
$wshShellLink.WorkingDirectory = $AusfuehrenIn
$wshShellLink.Save()

}
edited by Xanacas on 1/31/2013
edited by Xanacas on 1/31/2013

Clock6 yrs

Oh, I really didn't see that before!
That will be a great help I guess.

Thank you!

Clock6 yrs

@Xanacas

Ingenious way of using the RDM CmdLet, thank you for sharing

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

my Ctrl+F isn't working most of the time, so i needed a new solution. working with the searbar of the startmenu...
I've created a task to update my shortcuts and its working very well.
someone problably need to change the way i create the shortcut name, its only for my case usefull

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

Could you try the latest beta please?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Is it possible to get the shortcut to work as if you clicked on the name in RDM, The problem I have is if I already are connected to a computer and click the shortcut I get «A connection is already opened!» I do not get these messes if I click in RDM.

Clock6 yrs

Do you mean if you are already connected to same computer referred by shortcut?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

That is correct

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I can't reproduce it. Do you have the warn if already opened setting set in the session Log tab page?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The Desktop shortcut is for a RDP connection.
The problem is that if you have made a Desktop shortcut for an rdp entry and you use this shortcut to connect to the server, and you do not disconnect, and then trays to connect one more time true the Desktop shortcut you at getting the message “A connection is already opened!” If you connect, you get a new rdp session.
If you do, the same direct in RDM you are not getting any messages and you are connected to the already open RDP session.
It seems that when using Desktop shortcuts the RDM do not find the already open rdp session and therefore starts a new one.

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
That's exactly what I tried but I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Do you open the connection in external mode or embedded?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I open the connection in external mode and I have the Warn if already opened on. However, this is working, as I want when I connect direct in the RDM.

Clock6 yrs

This is now reproduced and fixed. Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs