Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

DNS Server lookup option

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

While the current method works when you configure things properly for many reasons it would be nice if RDM did the dns lookup itself from a user specified dns entry. This would allow for alot more reliable use of connecting to fqdn hostnames over vpn or connecting at all if you are dialed into multiple vpn connections or a vpn without dns configured.

So basically there would be an additional field for DNS lookup server in each session entry.

Clock6 yrs

Could you give me a complete example?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Could you give me a complete example?

i understand allesrob.
i got an server called vCenter at home and also one at the office. if i connect via vpn i cannot always be sure on which one i am going to be.

i fired up an high quality photo manipulation (mspaint) about what could be an option for that:
Custom DNS

needn't to be on the first tab page, just to show what i thought a good idea could be smile

Custom DNS.png
Clock6 yrs

Thank you for the details.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Max's example is good, although I would probably put it in the interface in the same style as the rdp port option. For me the biggest reason is multiple VPN connections lets say I'm connected to 3 separate client networks at once and I attempt to connect to workstation55.client-domain-A.local it will often fail because windows gets confused with the DNS entries of the local system in addition to those associated with the multiple dns servers or may use a incorrect cached record. Another reason it will fail is if I have the entry set to dial the vpn on demand if a ping fails it will do the lookup only from the local dns and I will have to try to connect again after the vpn is connected.

Clock6 yrs