We're trialling RDM on a mixed Mac OSX and Windows PC environment. On the Windows PCs we've been able to successful connect to a SQLServer data source using integrated Active Directory login. Unfortunately, we've not been successful doing the same on our Mac OSX systems. The error we get is...
ERROR System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ErrorHandler (System.Object sender, Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.TdsInternalErrorMessageEventArgs e) <0x18241eb8 + 0x001cb> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds.OnTdsErrorMessage (Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.TdsInternalErrorMessageEventArgs e) <0x18241e88 + 0x00029> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds.ProcessMessage (TdsPacketSubType subType) <0x18241588 + 0x0020b> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds.ProcessSubPacket () <0x1823ade8 + 0x0017f> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds.NextResult () <0x1823ac48 + 0x00067> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds.SkipToEnd () <0x1823aba0 + 0x0001b> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds70.Connect (Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.TdsConnectionParameters connectionParameters) <0x18238b80 + 0x008f3> in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.Tds80.Connect (Mono.Data.Tds.Protocol.TdsConnectionParameters connectionParameters) <0x18238b50 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open () <0x16a93bf8 + 0x00737> in <filename unknown>:0
If we don't use Integrated login we're able to successfully find the SQLServer, RDM Database, etc. The Mac systems in question are otherwise working successfully with Active Directory logins.
I've read as much as I can find on this matter, and can confirm that there is only a single instance of SQLServer on the database server in question. Other background that may help,
Active Directory 2003 domain
SQLServer 2008 on a Windows 2008 Server
Mac OSX El Capitan
What have I missed/configured incorrectly?
First I would double check that you checked the integrated Security check box and filled out the User, Domain and Password with the correct value.
The current version has issue with a password containing some special character. If your password contains ";" it might fail.
We have a fix for that and it will be available with the next release.
Tell me if this helped you.
Yes, Integrated security was turned on. No the User, Domain and Password fields were not completed, but I wouldn't have expected them to be given that we're trying to use Integrated Active Directory Login. I did experiment however with adding both the User explicitly and the Domain, but the error message was the same. The password field was disabled anyway, so I couldn't enter it.
The account we were testing with has a 16 character password, so we tested with an 8 character password and still experienced the same problem on the Mac. Neither passwords contained ';'.
Further to my earlier email. If we enter the user and domain, while the "Test Database" command fails in the Data source screen, if I exit that screen and attempt to use the SQLServer data source, I am prompted for a password and then it all seems to work.
That's great progress so thank you. My next question is how do we setup the data source for Mac OSX so that it doesn't require the user name to be entered in the data source.
The password field was not available probably because the save password check box was not checked.
The Test Database do not ask for password so if you want to test the database connection you need to have a password in the password field.
You can remove it after the test.
Unfortunately, the only way you can connect with a Window User to a Sql Server is by providing a User, Domain and Password for the moment.
We are always trying to improve our user experience and I will add this to our feature request list.
Thank you for bringing that up.