Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RAS (Dial-Up) Connection possible?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
is it possible to configure RAS connections (dial-up with ISDN) and to safe the credentials in RDM? I didn't found something like that.
Many thanks
Klaus

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
If I understand correctly it's possible. You need to create a VPN session and select Microsoft VPN. You will be able to fill-out the credentials fields in RDM

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

We are looking for a similar solution.
I have found the Remote Desktop Manager and it works for 95% of our needs.
But this last 5% is one of the most important parts that we are looking for.

We are in the need to manage in a central place all dial-up connections.
The Remote Desktop Manager seems to work for VPN connections but i can't manage to get a phone number and username/password stored.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
Have you tried the latest beta? We have added the phone number field in the Microsoft VPN

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi David,

I just installed the beta-version of RDM, i notice the extra field for a ras phone number.
But unfortunatly that does not solve our problem.

RDM assumes a few things,
When selecting Microsoft VPN it will list all RAS-connections or VPN connections that are available in Windows itself.
You will need one 'default' RAS-connection to make things work.

The dialer won't show up, so you will have to manually check things.
Also no status seems to be visible within RDM. This is (if you ask me) highly recommended. Also an accesslog would be appreciated.

To give you an idea what kind of work we do. We sell and manage (IP) PBX. Whenever we are not allowed to connect through vpn or internet towards the customer, we always have a last resort by dialing in. We do this for a large number of customers. And as we do this multiple times a day it is desired to see whether we are already dialed in, and to who we have been dialed in.

Clock7 yrs

Btw,

there seems to be no import for standard RAS phonebooks (.pbk files) or to export lists of sessions with name and phonenumers to re-import.

Clock7 yrs

Hi

All the operations we do are ultimately direct calls to the rasdial tool. Using rasdial requires the use of a defined phone book entry.

We've implemented the ability to specify an alternate phone book and a different phone number, this to satisfy user requests, but the flexibility of rasdial stops there.

The alternative would be to use the API ourselves, but this requires a significant coding effort and has to be prioritized against the whole of the community's requests.

In the mean time, to get the list of active connections, call rasdial without any parameters to get that list. You can create a command prompt session to achieve that.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Maurice,

thank you for your answer. I haven't tested it completely, but would it be possible to take an 'embedded' phonebook, and define the number to be used?

That way we can see the name of the entry in the phonebook used, and specify the number in RDM.

Clock7 yrs

1. I tested it with Win 8 Pro and RDM 8.0.26.0, using the "Phone book" option. Opening of the connections works good, but at closing the timeout is to short. You get the error "Unable to disconnect the VPN with rasphone.exe" while the connection is already open, a view secons later the connection is closed. RDM has to wait longer before testing if it is closed.

2. Could anyone tell me the difference between "Phone book" and "Embedded Phone book"?

Clock7 yrs

The difference between Phonebook and Embedded phonebook isn't clear to me either.

The RAS connection is closed properly on our side. I.e. i do not get any errors about closing the connection.

Would it be possible for RDM to create the RAS connection and have it the name of the actual customer.

Using individual RAS phonebooks to hold the specific connection towards the end-customer would solve the name problem. But it would not be useful in a multi-user environment. As the ras file needs to be available from all stations.

My ancient programming skills tell me it would not be that difficult to create an rasphonebook file programaticly (hence it is an ini-file). But would it work on any system? I am no longer a programmer, otherwise i would try it myself.

Clock7 yrs

Sometimes the disconnecting ist fast enough, sometimes it is slow. Don't know why.

Clock7 yrs

Hi

The embedded phone book is in fact saved within the connection itself.

This means that instead of having to distribute a phonebook file AND a session to all workstations/users, you simply share the session which holds everything.

I'll look into the disconnection issue

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs