Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

RDM + High Perf GPU

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Greetings!

I saw another post recently about power consumption, but I wanted to make mention of one more thing that I've seen using RDM for Mac.

(Firstly, thank you so much for making this app available for OSX--it's awesome!)

I have a MBP with a dedicated GPU. Whenever I launch the app (and for the duration that the app is running, whether sessions are opened or not), I see a notification from gfxCardStatus that the dedicated GPU is in use. I also see in the Activity Monitor that RDM is marked as "Yes" under "Requires High Perf GPU."

I found this QA discussion about allowing applications to use integrated graphics when an application requires OpenGL and decided to test: I updated the Info.plist in my install (3.0.10.0) and fortunately didn't find any immediate/obvious issues using the app (primarily for RDP connections) -- and the app didn't require the dedicated GPU!

Assuming this tests OK, could we add this as the default behavior in future versions? The extra battery life will make me very happy when on the road smile

Thank you!

Clock4 yrs

Hello,
This sounds interesting. I will make sure to forward your post to our dev and qa team.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

awesome--thanks so much for looking into it!

Clock4 yrs

YES!!! +1 to this... please.... every time i update the app I have to go in and change this now...

Clock4 yrs

Hi Brent,

Switching the option to true by default caused performance issue for some users, so we kept it at false. We did have an option to change it, but we've recently removed it since it required changing the App Bundle and was breaking the signature disallowing our App from accessing Mac security features (like the Keychain).

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Is there any way to program\code in a user selectable option in preferences etc? That may get around the app signature but still allow the option (even an advanced option etc or warning etc.).

Clock4 yrs

That's what we had, but the only way to change this behaviour is to change the Info.plist inside the App Bundle and then restart the app. The application will still work, but since it's content was changed (even if the change come from itself) from what it was when the signature was done, Mac will consider the app untrustworthy, locking us out of some security features.

I really don't see any way out of this problem. If you don't need any of those security features, it wouldn't be an issue for you, but it would still require us to display an option that can possibly break the app for some users.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs