Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Template Edit -> Edit all data which are used by the template

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
I use many templates for different kind of servers with ~5-8 SubConnections.
If I change the template, like adding a new sub connection, than it would be nice to add this new sub connection to all connections which have used this template. I don't want to add 50 Sub Connections :P

- Green

Clock3 yrs

Hello Green,
I will verify what I can do but this won't be easy.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Maybe some kind of text merge? I guess you are familiar with GIT/SVN/...
serialize the old template and the new one as XML.
serialize the Connection which has used the template also to XML.

"Base" = the old template
"Mine"=the connection
"Theirs"=the new template

I've tried it with TortoiseMerge based on my Database which is saved as XML. It was working like a charm =)

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

You can add the template to multi sub-connections by selecting them, clicking on Refactoring -> Apply and select Add template sub connections
image001

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

image001.png
Clock3 yrs

Hello David, Jean-François,

Sorry. I know I'm bothering you a lot those last weeks. I'm in a rush, trying to finalize your RDM setup and present it to the team.
We will have around 200 servers distributes in groups and subgroups (matching Amazon zones).
Those few hundreds of servers are made of about 10 different types of entries.
Some are browsers to a particular URL (with one variable part in it).
Some are browsers as well to another type of URL and other auto fill fields names.
Some are Putty (SSH).
Some are RDP.
No subconnection (yet).

I want a really systematic structure so people have no surprise.
I thought I would create about 10 templates and create my entries based on those templates.
My wish was:
- I create the entry using the template.
- I adapt the variable part (eg: address, credentials, parent group, ...)
- Every setting not changed remains "stuck" to the template.
- When I update the template, every entry created from that template is updated as well, except for the parts that were changed from within the entry setting itself (eg: address, credentials, ...)

It would be a kind of "dynamic template" or rather a dynamic host ;-)

I searched through the forum but could not find anything coming close to this.

So far, I made a PowerShell script that creates or updates all my entries based on an excel file listing all my hosts.
The 10 templates are therefore scripted.
The script, for sure, does more as it creates the group tree, sets automatically colors for production systems, changes icons, ...

My script being finished, there is no real need for the "dynamic template/host" but I wanted to challenge the idea with you and maybe, you have already a solution ready (I would even not be surprised anymore ;-) ).

What do you think ?

Best regards,

Pierre

Note: Do you think such script is of any interest for your community ? I may share it (I still need to manage the Security Groups and Roles)

Clock3 yrs

Note: I decided to share that thought after reading the post from Jenny.
http://blog.devolutions.net/2015/07/advanced-session-management-host-and-templates.html

Clock3 yrs

Hi,
I don't have anything better. I think that your script is a good solution.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

If I find back which software features the fact that an entry is the merge between a template and some custom values, I'll post a screenshot.

Clock3 yrs