Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Cisco ASDM - Web Start Fails to Launch

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum section, feel free to move it as needed.

My company is in the process of implementing RDM for our support engineers to access client devices and are running into a number of issues. The most pressing is getting ASDM to launch properly. I've tried multiple methods and am having mixed (inconsistent) results with all three methods, for the errors are mostly the same. We probably need to use Java Web Start ASDM as we have client's with multiple ASDM versions, let me know if this is a false assumption though.

I have made the appropriate IE/Java security changes. When connecting via IE without RDM, https://InternalIP/admin/public/asdm.jnlp it works fine (i do have to accept/continue past the SSL certificate warning in IE).

When launching from RDM, using either the ASDM plugin, Java Web Start plugin, or via a Browser (IE) going directly to the jnlp page, I get the same Java error:

Error01

followed by:

Error02

I have tried 32 and 64 bit versions of java, as well as several other releases (currently using Jre1.8.0_66) all with the same results.

It looks like it is trying to access .tmp files in my AppData\Local\Temp folder, but unable to. I've watched this folder while executing the application and the files are created in that location, but they are almost immediately deleted (I'm assuming before JWS tries to access them).

I've been able to replicate the problem on two other machines (3 total) so I don't think it is a specific client side issue. And as I said, it works when manually going to the .jnlp link and running the Java app functions correctly.

Any insight into this error, or if you have a better way of accessing ASDM which would non-version specific would be greatly appreciated!

-BT

Error01.jpg
Error02.jpg
Clock4 yrs

I forgot to mention that I have installed the latest versions of RDM, ASDM and Java Web Start add-ins.

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Have you installed the Cisco ASDM add-on in RDM from the Tools -> Add-on Manager menu?
2016+01+05+13+56+58

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

2016-01-05_13-56-58.jpg
Clock4 yrs

Yes, I have both the Cisco ASDM add-on and Java Web Start Add-on installed and up to date.

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Could you send us your application logs at support@devolutions.net

You will retrieve them in Help -> View Application Log.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Just to update, I sent the logs to support on 1/11/16, and their response was asking if I had tried the local ASDM installation (instead of addressing the issue, which is using the JWS version). I responded back on 1/11/16 letting them know we needed to use the JWS version if possible, and have yet to receive another response.

I'm getting nervous about rolling this out to our staff (to support 4000 nodes) with the level of support we're getting. So far, the only support responses we have been offered have been questions which were already answered in the initial support request with no attempt to look at the underlying problem. Given that I have now tried this on over 6 different workstations, using different user accounts and browsers with the same error, I find it hard to believe that we're the only people running into this issue. Maybe it is related to the ASDM or ASA versions we're connecting to, or a Java configuration issue, profile settings, etc, but regardless it is easily reproducible.

Has anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryce

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

If there is an environment with this issue you or someone else could make available to us for testing, we would appreciate it. It's pretty difficult to debug this without being able to test.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

We'd need to test it on our end to be able to debug it, so we'd need an export of either the Java Web Start or Cisco ASDM entry you'd like to use with a URL I could connect to on my machine. It's important that you get the issue with that session, of course. If I'm right I shouldn't need any executable that isn't available to the public since it's just a URL with a java executable.

You can send these infos to me at hmireault (at) devolutions.net. Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Of course, be sure to keep us updated on the subject. I'm not sure how it works exactly but we don't need "real" access, if setting up a dummy machine would be simpler.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi folks,
in my opinion it´s more a Java Problem than a RDM problem. Newer Versions of Java do have problems accessing the Cisco ASDM Java Stuff because Java has stricter security restrictions. You have to add the IP of your ASAs to Javas "Exception List" or use qualified Certificates on your ASAs.

Best regards
Sebastian

RDM 13.0.6.0
MS SQL 2016 DataSource
4450 Session entries

Clock4 yrs

Thanks for the input. I have added the IP of the ASA to the Security Exception List already. The reason I'm thinking RDM is somewhat involved in the problem, is that when I open ASDM via JWS directly from the browser (on the same machine), I have no issues with it loading. So either it is related to the way RDS is accessing the JWS app, or is using a different Java path than what the browser defaults to, etc.

In fact, I even wrote a vbs script which creates an IE window and goes to the ASDM jnlp file on the ASA, and after hitting continue, it loads just fine. This isn't a real solution as it doesn't allow the password to be entered (you can't automate the security prompt in the browser). But clearly the system and the java installation are working properly with the JWS ASDM application....just not through the RDM ASDM plugin.

Thanks again for your input,

Bryce

Clock4 yrs

Does java webstart ASDM work using Google Chrome, not just IE? If so, could you try the Google Chrome web browser setting in RDM and see if it works with that?

Thank you for your input Sebastian and Bryce.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs