Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

High Battery Usage on MAC Remote Desktop Manager

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi

I've noticed that when using RDM on my MAC I see high battery usage all the time. Is this usual?

RDM 3.0.8.0 Enterprise Edition

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 9.43.39 PM.png
Clock4 yrs

What type of connection do you use? Do you use an ARD or VNC connection?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I've only got Microsoft Remote Desktop connections. Nothing else. My datasource is .xml file.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

May I ask you if you are using Open GL on your RDP connection?
To check that you can go to the advanced tab of your entry and check the Open GL setting
SessionOpenGL%5b1%5d
If the settings is set to Default check the App preferences in the session type tab
AppOpenGL%5b1%5d

May I also ask you how many sessions you are opening at the same time?

Best Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

SessionOpenGL[1].png
AppOpenGL[1].png
Clock4 yrs

Hi

I've checked now and it seems that it is disabled. See attached screenshot.

I normally have 1 but on occasion 2-3 but never more than that.

Screen+Shot+2016+01+04+at+5.28.54+PM

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 5.28.54 PM.png
Clock4 yrs

Could you try enabling it?

It might have a impact on your energy consumption.

Also when I make some tests for your issue I see a big battery usage when the connection initialize but it goes back to a more normal usage after that. You will see a peek in energy consumption when your desktop is refreshed completely. So if the server you are connecting to is showing something that moves a lot it will have a great energy consumption.

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I will test but this is occurring even when just opening RDM... before opening any connections. That is what my concern is. I understand that there might be higher consumption when opening a connection but I'm not even at that stage yet.

Also just for information I'm using a MAC Retina 13" 2015 model.

Clock4 yrs

Ok sorry I misunderstood what was your issue.

I started Remote Desktop Manager and Activity Monitor to see what kind of Energy Impact the app had and beside the startup and open/close of sessions I'm getting an energy impact below 10.

What kind of number do you have?

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi

So when starting RDM it is about 99 and when using it goes up to 30-40 and then comes back down to about 10-15 and then while working it seems to be around just below 10.

This is a screenshot of it when it starts up.
Screen+Shot+2016+01+05+at+7.12.53+PM

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.12.53 PM.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi,

We have about the same performance then. It means that the battery usage you are experiencing is usual but we are working on improving it.
Our startup performance in an ongoing issue we are trying to improve but the main bottle neck involve a lot of internal rework.

There are other things that will impact your startup performance like the number of entries you have in your datasource or the type of datasource (xml is one of the most efficient.) We are currently working on improving this loading time and it should improve the energy impact to.

Do you have any more questions for us?

Best Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi

Nope thanks. Answered my question.

Clock4 yrs