Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

System availability status

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

One of the features I really liked in iShadow is that when you disconnected from a server, the tab remained open (because often times after rebooting a system you'll connect back into again when it's back up). In this disconnected tab, there was a Red or Green LED in the tab of the window. The LED light would indicate whether or not the RDP/ICA/etc port was responding (basic port telnet test). When the server was down it would be red, but upon the server coming back up it would go green. Was a really nice way of knowing when a server was back up and you could reconnect back into it. iShadow actually listed this port status for all systems as well so you could visually see which systems were not responding before connecting to them. That could be overkill though.

Shawn

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
this is an interesting feature. It's a good idea and I have added it to my todo list. Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi Shawn,
The next version has now an option to keep the tab open on disconnect and also a reconnect when available

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David - thats awesome! Thanks smile What version would that be in? I just updated support, I love some of the new features you are doing.

Clock6 yrs

We just have released RDM 9.0 and it's included

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David,

Thanks for adding the keep open tab and reconnect option. One minor suggestion to change on this feature. Currently you're monitor host availability status. If I reboot a server and then click on the reconnect when available feature it will immediately fail. What I suggest you do is pause the connect request for about 5-10 seconds (give the host a few seconds to shutdown/reboot. Also, if the connect is an RDP connect or ICA connection or whatever, only attempt to reconnect when that actual port is listening. In other words, when a host reboots it'll start responding to pings almost immediately when the IP stack comes up, but it may be 30-60 seconds before the RDP/ICA/VNC, etc listener starts responding. So if you check port status (telnet like connection attempt) instead of host status (ICMP ping) then you'll have more realiable reconnection attempts.

Thanks.

Shawn

Clock6 yrs

Hi Shawn,
I was already planning to add an option to configure the host availability mode:

- ping
- port scan

Also from what I've learned the ping is now disabled by default on Windows 8. However I think that your example with the RDP makes it even more important.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs