Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

organization method for Security users and groups

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I started using Users and Group when I moved to MSSQL server as the datastore.
You guys have done a wonderful job at making this option.

However I would request that more organization options are added. At this point when you have more than a few groups, they just get cluttered and unorganized.
Some sort of OU would be nice.

Just a dream, but it would be AMAZING if it was able to connect into the Active Directory Credentials. User accounts could be linked to and groups could be added within the AD, and reflect within RDM. (this idea prolly will not happen any time soon)

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
This is something that we can't do with a direct connection to the database. However with RDMS, we support the role management linked to an AD group.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Aw, I see. Thanks for this information.

Clock6 yrs

I should have posted back to this a while ago.

The issue, David is correct, is NOT RDM. it is MSSQL server.

If you supply a username and password to MSSQL in a connection string it thinks that you mean to authenticate via the MSSQL server and tries to do so.
If you use integrated security it simply passes the security token onto the AD.

There is no step in between that allows MSSQL to authenticate a user via the AD with the give text username and password.

Clock6 yrs

Hi visiodei

I'm not sure you are looking for this info, but I wanted to publish this on the forum so its out there.

You can start any executable and authenticate onto another domain by using RUNAS with the /NETONLY parameter. Using it means that the credentials you supply don’t have to be valid on the machine you’re running it on, but will still be passed on when remote calls are made.

I've done entries for Ssms.exe successfully in the past. Many support technicians have laptops on a workgroup that need to authenticate on a domain. Thats how we achieve this.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Also, do not stop asking for dream features

Look at http://blog.devolutions.net/2012/12/december-poll-rdm-wish-list.html, we always get asked for some feature regarding AD, it's on our WANTED board.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs