Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

migrate from standalone SQL database datasource to RDMS 3x

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

is there a preferred method to migrate 2000+ sessions that are stored in a raw SQL db to a RDMS instance?

I exported all sessions from the SQL datasource and imported to the RDMS datasource and besides taking most of the day, none of the passwords came over and the security groups were all missing.

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

The preferred method is:

• simply point the DVLS instance to the same exact SQL Database wink

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I currently have the latest (11.5.4.0 at time of writing) non-beta version installed. We currently use a SQL server as our datasource. We have recently purchased RDMS and have that installed on a separate server that also has SQL installed. We would like to move our data to the new SQL server and leverage RDMS. To add another wrench, we're moving from domain A on the existing SQL server to domain B on the new SQL server. I've tried a few different things but can't seem to get RDMS to work with the existing database. No matter what I do (point RDMS at the old SQL server, backup and restore to the new SQL server, etc.) the existing entries will not display in RDM. I can see them in the table, and if I add a new entry in RDM it is also added to the table, but anything that was created while we were not using RDMS (direct SQL access) using the old domain will not display.

Ideas?

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Your user accounts will need to be patched manually. As you can see in my signature block we do offer free remote sessions for that.

Just click on the Contact us part of that green line to get the booking process started.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Ah, I was wondering what that was about. Thanks, I'll reach out.

Clock4 yrs

Hi Maurice,
I'm just testing out Devolutions Server in a testlab before we buy anything. I'm also having some problems with the users. Is there a procedure I can follow to change the users myself? It's a test setup and I recon I will be removing, adding & restoring the database a few times.
Best regards,
Thomas

Clock4 yrs

Hello thkn,

What is the problem with your users exactly?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Jean-François,
I'm using an existing database as back-end for DVLS 3.2.1.0. Well I restored a backup of our existing database to a test server and installed RDM & DVLS on the same server.
When connecting straight to the SQL Database with an AD user, I can read, edit, delete and create all entries, just like when not using DVLS. But when I configure DVLS to connect to that database, I can't see any entries. When I test the connection in the Devolutions Server console > edit settings > authentication. Everything seems OK. This user is also an Administrator, I checked this through the Devolutions Server console.
I removed and recreated the user but still no sessions to be seen. I can however log in to the web interface with that user but when trying to view the sessions, I get the following error message:
<RDMOConnectionMetaData xmlns=''> was not expected. Best regards,
Thomas

Clock4 yrs

Hey Thomas -

You and I are actually in the exact same position. I have been in touch with support and am scheduling a meeting for next week. If it's something simple or standard that I can document I will. Another thing I noticed, if you add an entry through DVLS they are properly added to the database and you can see them in RDM.

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

As you can see in our signature block, we do offer free online sessions. Just click on the "contact us" part to get that process started.

@rumpler, its not that we do not want to document it, but in the next version there will be a tool to help out. Our worry is that user specific settings and the private vault are tied with the user accounts. We have seen issues when customers just deleted the old account to create a new one, thereby losing all of their personal data. We want to offer guidance because the process really takes minutes for us. It saves a lot on support calls.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Absolutely understand trying to reduce support headaches. In my instance our users don't make use of the private vault and we actually don't have any permission restrictions on entries so I just need the fastest way to make every entry in the database visible to everyone when they login via Devolutions Server just as they see it today with direct SQL.

Also, isn't today a Holiday for you guys up there? Get off the forum!

Clock4 yrs

happy birthday Canada!

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs