Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Java Web Start Configuration selector

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Devolutions team,

I did a search and as far as I could tell, this request hasn't been addressed elsewhere. Some of our infrastructure which is managed through Java Web Start applications reply on different versions of java. From what I can tell, we can only define one configuration for the "Java Web Start" (JWS) session type (per computer). This works fine for the vast majority of our sessions, but we do have the odd device which we need to configure a "Run command line" to call a different version of JAVAWS.

Would it be possible to add a configuration selector for the JWS session type so we could handle it all through RDM? Assuming the user has multiple JWS session configs defined, the user would then be able to select which config to use on a per-session basis.

Thank you,

Mike

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Will it be acceptable to be prompted for an installation path if you configure more than one path in File->Options?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David,

Would you be able to explain? How would you prompt if we have more than 1 path configured in File -> Options?

I quickly created a picture to explain what I was thinking. http://pasteboard.co/1H7iufNI.png
(I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly, I hope referencing an external service is OK)

Assuming the user has multiple JWS configs defined in File -> Options, the user would be able to select from the defined list on a per-session basis.

Mike

Clock4 yrs

I see what you mean. Do you need to configure all the paths or it's hard coded?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Ideally we'd hard-code the paths in File -> Options, then reference them from within the session (as described in the picture above).

Hope this answers your question.

Mike

Clock4 yrs

The problem is that we can't have all the paths in File-Options.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

That's why I was suggesting this solution with the multi-installation path

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/path_installation.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David,

If this functionality already exists, then its a user error on my part. I'll set some time aside tomorrow to investigate and figure out your solution.

Thank you,

Mike

Clock4 yrs

Wait Michael. I'm not sure it exists for Java Web Start. I have assigned Hubert to investigate and verify if we need to change something.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I just did a test using the following path defined in File -> Options;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Java\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin

After launching a JWS session, received no prompt to select which path to use.

Hope this helps

Clock4 yrs

This means it's not supported for this session type. I will make sure to add this for the next update.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Great, thank you!

1 follow up question, with this feature, will in prompt to select which path to use every time we open a session or is there a way to configure a default?

Mike

Clock4 yrs

Fist step will be to prompt every time you open it. Once this is done I will check with Hubert if it's possible to add a default with a search string in the path.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

David and me discussed this a little and we can't have the Java web start add-on work with multiple paths in the File > Options. Instead there is a few things that will be added to the add-on itself which looks a lot like your solution.

There will be a combobox to specify the JWS path. "Default" is the path configured in File > Options which is the behavior it currently has. "Custom" allows you to specify any path. You can use variables when choosing "Custom." The other three are different Java Runtime Environment default paths that are hardcoded.

I attached a new version of the add-on to this post, could you give it a try and see if it works as expected with your use case? You need to put the DLL in %localappdata%\Devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager.

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

JavaWebStart2.1.0.0.zip
Clock4 yrs

Hi Hubert, David,

Sorry for the delay responding, had a few fires which were prioritized - I've downloaded the addon and will give it a try today.

Thank you very much,

Mike

Clock4 yrs

Hi Hubert, David,

I gave it a test and its perfect! I just had to move my java over to the hard-coded paths and it worked just fine.

The only issue I found was with the ASDM add-on when using the JavaWebStart option. It does launch javaws with the correct URL but the credentials portion doesn't seem to be working.

Can you think of anything client side that would cause this? Or could it be as a result of the add-on change?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Mike

Clock4 yrs

Hello Mike,

Thank you for testing it out!

The Cisco ASDM add-on is separate from the java web start add-on, so the change for the java web start add-on shouldn't affect the other one. I'll take a look at ASDM to see where the issue could be. Do you also need the java web start path configuration options for ASDM?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Hubert,

No, I don't require multiple versions of java for ASDM - we're pretty up to date with Cisco, I was just trying to provide all relevant information related to what I was doing, thinking maybe you'd make sense of what was happening.

I reverted the module back to the original, then tried ASDM again and had the same behavior. I then proceeded to remove all firewall connections from my list and repopulated them from templates - passwords then started working again. I then proceeded to re-apply the above add-on, and tried again - again, everything worked as expected.

I may have changed something client-side without knowing it, or one of my colleagues may have modified our firewall entries (For whatever reason). Sorry for the false-alarm, we can mark this issue down as an ID-10-T problem.

smile

Mike

Clock4 yrs

No problem, if you stumble upon another issue be sure to notify us and we'll see what we can do smile

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs