Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Active Directory Syncronizer Feature Request

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

I was informed by Maurice that syncronizers at this time do not remove connections from the RDM database if they no longer exist in Active Directory. This would be extremely useful for environments like mine where servers are spun up and torn down very frequently in a very automated fashion.

Please consider adding this functionality in your next release! That would be a big win for us (and other customers I'm sure).

Thank You,
-Aaron

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
It's been on our todo list for few months but I have to be honest. I'm chicken to implement this. I'm so worried of deleting an entry that the user want to keep. What do you think?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I have a couple thoughts on this. I can see why you would have some trepidation, but honestly this is a big enough need for those of us who have automated vm instantiations and decomissions that this functionality is a must.

I would suggest building the feature in and providing a check box to enable/disable the feature and have it set to disabled by default. That way we can choose to enable it, and if it kills something then it is our fault not yours smile

Also, since the sync is reading active directory for computer objects, I would say it is safe to assume that if the computer object no longer exists then the connection object for that computer object is no longer needed. Maybe have an option or filter to only automatically remove RDP sessions that are no longer found in AD? Additionally this could be scoped to AD computer objects that are disabled as they would not be accessible either. Those should be easy enough to check for (if exists/if disabled then blah).

Those are just my thoughts on this though. I still see this as a big feature that we need. Please please please implement!

Thanks!
-Aaron

Clock4 yrs

The problem is not with the session but it's with all the related information:

- Logs
- Attachments
- Inventory information

I will add your suggestion (disable it by default) to our open ticket.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David,

I know this is an old (dead) thread, but I'm checking back in on this request. Has there been any progress made here? Has the idea been scrapped all together?

I'm asking because I want to be able to present to my development team a dynamic single source solution for RDP connectivity to their self service provisioned servers, and since we are licensed for the RDM product it seems like a natural evolution to use this tool for my masses, not only my team.

Thanks!
-Aaron

Clock3 yrs

Hello Aaron,

Good news smile We implemented this feature in one of our beta updates. You can download the beta here http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download#beta or wait until the next stable release.

You can look at the feature for Active Directory sync for example, and it is basically the same for our other synchronizers which support this feature http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?synchronizer_ad.htm
A thing to note, though: The entries must have been created by the synchronizer after using the RDM version which includes the "action on entry mismatch". This is because now, when we create entries with a synchronizer, we mark them as being created by said synchronizer. The option ONLY deletes/moves entries that were created by the synchronizer, no other entry, to prevent worst case scenarios. By default, nothing happens on a mismatch.

I hope this feature will work for your use case!

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

You guys are awesome! I'll review the links and see how it works.

THANK YOU!!

Clock3 yrs

By the way, once you use a version with this feature, if you don't want to recreate the entries so they work with the move/delete, you can do the following:

1. Select your synchronizer, go into its properties, and in the advanced tab copy the session ID for use later.
2. Select all of the entries you want to mark as created by the synchronizer
3. Right click > Edit > Batch edit > Batch actions, then select "Custom powershell command"
4. Write the following:

$connection.CreationSource = "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"
$RDM.Save();
And then press okay.

This should mark all the selected entries as created by the synchronizer. To see if it worked, you can click on the synchronizer and check if the entry is listed in the dashboard (the dashboard lists every entry created by the synchronizer for easy access).

If you only have a few sessions, you can also directly go in the session you want to link, in the advanced tab, there should be the "Creation source" and you can select which session you want to mark as its source, which will essentially do the same thing.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs