Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDP Gateway and VPN in one session?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to configure RDM to use different VPN connections in one session for different purposes. Example:
I frequently use RDP Gateways to connect to lots of rdp servers, since I work with lots of sessions, that are not in the same network. It's not very convenient to open and close the VPNs all the time. From time to time it's nonetheless neccessary to connect via VPN (I'm using NCP VPN), if the gateway server is down for example. Or if I want to execute a script on a remote session.
Is it possible to specify that for simple rdp connection the gateway should be used, but for the tools (scripts, macros, dashboard tools) a NCP VPN has to be opened?
And is it possible to normally use a RDP gateway, but to configure a NCP VPN as failover, in case the gateway server isn't responding?`

Clock5 yrs

Hello Michael,
It's not possible for now. I will add a feature request for that but I think that the solution will be a prompt for VPN. You will be able to create some sub-connection as VPN and pick the one you want including a gateway. I'm not sure we will be able to detect which one to use.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Apologies for hijacking an old thread but I have a very similar need and am inquiring whether this option was ever implemented (can't seem to find it).

In my environment, we have a large number of sites with a myriad of different network routing, firewall, and DNS configuration issues that would require many different VPN options (in this case we are using RDS and SSH gateways exclusively).

Due to the volume of sessions we have (40k),we are using Host sessions and template lists so the following would not be ideal

• multiple sub-connections on every host session would cause a significant performance penalty
  • maintaining 30+ repositories that all contain the same items (gateway as the only exception) would be a management nightmare... I'm already expecting to break up into multiple repositories once user load increases
  • the template list is already pretty substantial and requires scrolling

Ideally, I'd love to see a prompt to choose a gateway. The gateway option currently allows to choose a group folder (but defaults to first gateway session when chosen).Prompting could build the list dynamically and provide it to the user if they don't have direct access.

... or maybe I'm overthinking and missing something obvious?

Clock3 yrs

I will add a feature request to prompt for Gateway.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs