Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

PowerTools - RunAs

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

The optional Power Tools are great to fastly restart or shutdown one or more devices. Unfortunately it is not possible to use different credentials to start those Tools.
Problem:
I am starting the RDM with a normal Windows user for my daily work as I do not use an administrative account. If I like to use the power Tools I do not have the proper rights to pursue those Tasks as the user I started the RDM with.
Work around so far:
Start RDM with an administrative user.
Wish:
Implement a right click Option or Setting within the program that it is at least possible to use my Standard credentials within my private vault similar to i.e. connecting to a RDP session.

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefan.
I will verify if it's technically possible to do the impersonate.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Stefan - Could you post a print screen of where/what/how you see this working?

Do you want to "Run As Admin" of the current user or "Run As Admin" using a different user? Both?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane,

I would like to see the RunAs different user, ideally as with an RDP session the button "Open session and choose logon data" or just use the personal data within My Account Settings.

Please be anxious about my wording as I am using a german localized RDM and often do not know the exact english button declaration.

If necessary I can send you a screenshot but either way I just would like to see that I can sepcify a different user to run the PowerTools with.

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefan,

No problem with the German screen shot, please send them anyways, it will help understand where you want this feature.

Run-As has been added a few places on a "on-demand" basis. We don't have time to add it everywhere so if you tell me exactly where you need it I can focus on those first.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane,

if possible I would like to choose the credentials similar to an RDP session. So it should be possible to just right click the Shutdown/Restart Computer and choose to use different credentials.

Please find two screenshots. One Shows how right click should behave. Apparently it Shows the correct menu but it is not for the Shutdown tool but the RDP session itself.
The other screenshot shows the expected credential picker as known from i.e. an RDP session.

Where am I able to upload an image? I am sure that it is possible to upload images while creating a new topic but it seems not with Quick Reply :-(

rightclick.png
ChooseCredentials.png
Clock4 yrs

To upload a file you must use the "Add reply" or you can Edit an existing message to add a file. Quick Reply if for text only.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane
thanks for the info. I did upload the two images within my previous post. I am hoping it was able to clear things up and not make it even more complicated.
Stefane Lavergne wrote:

To upload a file you must use the "Add reply" or you can Edit an existing message to add a file. Quick Reply if for text only.

Clock4 yrs

Thank you for the info. I will see what we can do with this.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

You can already specify which credentials to use when executing session tools (right click on the session -> Edit or Properties), see here:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?settings_tools_overview.htm

What I think in missing in your case is two options:

- prompt for credentials
- this would prompt you to select a credential at execution time
- run-as-administrator
- this option would be available regardless of which credential option is selected (default, session, custom, repository, my personal or prompt)

Something like this
10 6 2015 1 10 30 PM

Would that work for you?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

10-6-2015 1-10-30 PM.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane,
I would even be satisfied if I had those options like Use custom credentials for all tools. It would suite most situations even if not all (There are servers on which I have to use a special user).
That said I searched for those options but am not able to find those. I went into options and tools but where are those options? I bet I saw them before tried and they did not work but now I cannot even find them.
Prompt for credentials would still be great though :-)

Clock4 yrs

Stefan - that is the system option form. What you want is the session properties. Right-click on a session -> Properties or Edit ribbon -> Properties

We don't have a global tools credentials option. I will discuss with David about adding this feature.

Best regards,

10 7 2015 10 08 29 AM

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

10-7-2015 10-08-29 AM.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefan,

Have a look at the latest version, the "Specify at execution" is now available (at the session level, not global).

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Stefane,
unfortunately I am not able to find this option. Would you be so kind and maybe post a screenshot of where to find this setting?
Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Stefane Lavergne wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Have a look at the latest version, the "Specify at execution" is now available (at the session level, not global).

Best regards,

Clock3 yrs

Found it and will check

Clock3 yrs

Hi Stefane,
I tried the new option but I am not quite sure wether it works as intended or not.
I did set the option within a RDP sessions properties. Then I tried to use the Power Tools (Shutdown v2.1.0.0) to restart a Server. Apparently it does not query for credentials.
Secondly I tried to use i.e. the Computer Management but as UAC is enabled it asks me for my credentials anyway. If possible it would be great to specify credentials beforehand thus not needing to evaluate manually.
At least it should be possible to specify credentials for the power Tools as soon as I start it. Configuring it at a session Level is okay with me.
Thanks and kind regards
Stefan
Stefane Lavergne wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Best regards,

Clock3 yrs

It does work with remote Management Tools though... but not with Macros/Scripts/Tools as the power Tools are

Clock3 yrs

Stefan,

The current implementation of run-as doesn't work with every macro/script/tool. We have it on our todo to do a full rewrite/rework of run-as functionality. A possible work around is to start RDM elevated for the moment.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Stefane,

I am hoping the new implementation of run-as will hit production soon.

Thanks so far for your support!

Kind regards,

Stefan

Clock3 yrs