Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Azure console Remote Desktop connection

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi there, I've tried out the beta Azure console.

The connection to a virtual machine doesn't work because it doesn't seem to be getting the remote RDP port from the Azure Console.

Furthermore, these should be able to be saved and mapped to credentials like other RDP connections.

Thanks!
Paul

Clock4 yrs

Come to think of it, using an Azure Console to drive an import process would make the most sense to me. Basically I need to occasionally sync up with the list of VMs and RDP port numbers in our Azure subscription.

Clock4 yrs

Hello Paul,
I will check with Hubert what we can do but for now you can create an RDP sub-connections and specify the username/password. I will verify if we could automate this but you will need to use the same credentials for all the VM.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Paul,

I will look into this next week, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello Paul,

In the next version of RDM there will be two things.

1. When using the "Connect" button in the Azure console, if it is a Virtual Machine, it will use its endpoint and if there are multiple, will prompt you to choose one to connect to. This should solve the port issue. For now it only uses RDP like before.

2. In the entry tree: Right click > Import > Import Sessions From > Microsoft Azure. It will prompt you for the subscription ID and the certificate thumbprint, or an existing azure console session. Then, you'll be able to choose default credentials you want to put in the imported sessions (you can leave those empty if you want). This also uses RDP sessions, and is only available for administrators.

This should address both issues. When the next version is live, could you give it a try and give us some feedback?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi there, I just installed 10.9.14.0 and I see the multiple endpoint connect feature. That works well.

Is the import sessions option in an even newer version?

Thanks,
Paul

Clock4 yrs

You are right, the import will be in the next version which will be out soon.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Just tried out the import, and it works great. It did import into a series of subdirectories based on the VM name, which was a little confusing. Easy enough to move them out but I wasn't sure why it did that.

Also popping up the endpoint selection is OK, but does RDM do anything with the other endpoint types, or can it be streamlined to take the "Remote Desktop" endpoint every time?

Basically if I had a vm called MYVMNAME, the import put it in

Folder\Folder\Name

MYVMNAME\MYVMNAME\MYVMNAME

Clock4 yrs

Actually, there may be a bug. After import, the RDP port is set to 0 not the custom port from the import.

Thanks!
Paul

Clock4 yrs

Hi Paul,

Thanks for testing the import out!

We could add an option to choose between importing at the root (what you expected) and importing in folders describing the Subscription/HostedService/Deployment (what is done right now).

As for the endpoint issue, I'll look into it. If the port is 3389 it will appear as "0" in RDM since that is the default for the RDP sessions. We also plan to support the SSH type down the line but for now it's only remote desktop. The problem with streamlining it and always choosing the "remote desktop" endpoint is that in Azure, the name and the port can be customized and there doesn't seem to be a way to distinguish between pre-established names (like Remote Desktop) and custom ones.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

As a heads up, the next version of RDM will include a checkbox for "import in root" which will do what it says. Not using it will import like it currently does, with the folder structure.

The port issue will also be resolved.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Is there a way to import the azure subscription vm's with the private IP instead of the DNS name? We're hoping to have RDM on a jumpbox in azure that would use all the private IP's to connect.

thx

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

We'll have to take a look at the API but it should be possible. We'll keep you updated.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

This should be available in the next version of RDM beta.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs