Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

VPN Prompt to connect if unable to ping/scan

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

It would be great to have a combination of the prompt and ping/scan options in the VPN connection settings.

Consider this scenario (not uncommon in my world) - Connected to a client's VPN, and I have 6 RD sessions open, all with inherited (or not) VPN settings from the folder level. I reboot a server, and then in a moment attempt to RD to it again, but it's not up yet - so if I have the 'connect if unable to ping/scan' option set, it will disconnect the VPN, and reconnect it, disconnecting the other RD sessions (but they may sit and try to reconnect). If the server is still not up by the time the VPN connects, the RD session will time out, and the VPN will drop again, making the other RD sessions drop as well.

I really want the capability to connect automatically if the server is pingable, but prompt if the server is not pingable, especially on initial VPN establishment, but then if the above scenario happens I lose it all. The prompt if unable to ping option gives me the best of both worlds smile I use RDM extensively every day, so I love it! Thanks for all your hard work.

Clock4 yrs

Hello Nathan,
Just to be sure that I understand you would like a confirmation if the application can reach the host before opening the VPN?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David!
So more like
a) if the server can be reached then just RD/connect the session as usual
b) if the server can't be reached, then prompt to open VPN rather than automatically connecting

Actually while I am saying this, I realize that many other people might not have the same issue as me, as I have (for instance) many customers I connect to with AnyConnect, and I essentially have to clear out any cached AnyConnect settings and profiles before we launch the AnyConnect client - which we do with a powershell script. It's actually the running of this script that causes the issue, not the RDM app per se. But the above option would be perfect if it's something you can include at some stage.

Now if you want to get really tricky, have the AnyConnect session be able to clear out saved profiles/previously connected to sessions wink But that's a whole other problem.

Clock4 yrs

Perfect. I have entered a feature request. This should not be hard to add.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Thanks David!

Nate

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

In the next RDM version, there will be a new option in the combobox, "Prompt if unable to ping/scan" which I believe will fix your issue as it will ask you if you want to open the VPN when it is not able to ping the host.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Awesome, thanks so much Hubert and David!

Clock4 yrs