Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Pluggable Protocol support (rdm://{database-connection}/{path-to-entry})

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have need to be able to link to entries in RDM on an web-based support platform.

Clicking on the link would active RDM and if the user has permissions, navigate to the entry.

Example fictitious link:

<a href="rdm://{database-connection}/{path-to-entry}">description</a>

Where the scheme is "rdm" (could by anything), database-connection is the named datasource, and path-to-entry is the XPath to the entry.

On clicking the link, RDM would execute & focus on the entry (if user is allowed)

Users might be familiar with uri protocol handlers for torrent apps, win-scp (sftp), ftp, email etc.

Properly implemented there should be no security implications.

It will allow for a convenient system to index entries to directly access rather than sorting / filtering / searching through large trees that may have thousands of nodes.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
we already have this supported in the application

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/support_protocolhandler.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Oh. You do have it!

I *do* read the manual btw. Have no idea how I missed it.

Perhaps I should convert this to a request to make the web link auto-generate so that it's visible as part of the entry information - that way the extra steps to open the entry, navigate to 'advanced', generate the uri to the clipboard are not needed. Can't imagine there'd be any performance impact...

Thanks for the head-up David.

Clock4 yrs

What do you mean by auto generate?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

By auto generate I meant that the URI is just there, and viewable, as part of the normal informational metadata - there is no extra steps required to obtain the URI. You don't need to edit the record. You can just copy the 'link' directly. This could also be part of the context menu (right click) copy action on a record.
Anyway, I feel a bit ashamed that I requested an existing feature. I hope my stupidity has helped someone! :-)

Clock4 yrs

Thank you for the details. I see now what you mean. I will think about it to do a smooth integration.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs