Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Active Directory Synchronizer feature requests

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Auto-delete RDP connections

I know this has been requested many times already, but just to offer my vote as well, I would like to see the ability to auto-delete RDP connections for computers no longer found by a current sync. The deletion would of course need to be confined to the group structure defined in the synchronizer settings, so as to not affect anything else in the same database.

Update existing RDP connections

The synchronizer can be set to create groups based on the OU structure in the AD domain, and also to importing computer account descriptions from AD. However, these pieces of information are only honored on initial import. I would like to see this data re-parsed for existing RDP connections matching computer accounts found in the current sync, so that the RDP connections can be updated accordingly. In other words, computer account descriptions would be checked and updated as needed every time, and if they get moved to a different OU in AD, they will be moved to the appropriate matching parent group in RDM, assuming the option to replicate the OU structure is enabled.

Option to exclude disabled computer accounts

I don't see any point in creating RDP connections for disabled accounts, as that generally means that those computers no longer exist, or are at least purposefully offline for an extended period of time. I would like to see a check box that would easily allow admins to select whether or not to include disabled computer accounts in the search. Yes, it is possible to add an LDAP filter string to exclude them from all the domains I manage, but to me something so basic would be better served by a user-friendly check box. Preferably this would be set to exclude them by default, but just having the check box (and a property to easily set true/false on via PowerShell) would be much appreciated.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
We will do our best to improve the AD synchronizer. I can't give you a timeframe. We are working hard on the IOS and Android version and we have a lot of people on vacation.
edited by dhervieux on 7/1/2015

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Sure, I completely understand. I never expect instant turnaround on feature requests, just glad you actually listen to them. smile

Clock4 yrs

I will do my best to add this for RDM 11 expected in September.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Great input #ivorycruncher

But a LDAP filtering string would be great as an option as well.
I think it should be an option to edit/change that string.

There could be circumstances where one only wants to import computer objects that fulfil certain cafeterias that can be filtered by an LDAP import string(+would make the object import faster/more efficient).
Sure. There could be a check-box for those that don't need to change anything.

I'm just saying there are people that want to edit that LDAP import filter string(like me).

So, as default. A check-box would be good. But an advanced option for managing the LDAP import string, would be great smile

//Brandur

Clock4 yrs

The option to manually enter LDAP filter strings already exists in the current version. That's what I'm currently using to filter out disabled accounts. However, the string for this is rather cryptic compared to strings for filtering other parameters:

!(UserAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)

Granted, this can be found by a web search, but I can imagine this being intimidating to people who are unfamiliar with LDAP filter strings. The need to filter other parameters will vary widely from client to client, but the need to filter out disabled accounts seems like it would be a very common thing that most people would probably want, so the check box (and a corresponding parameter to set true/false on in PowerShell) would make this particular filter much easier to configure.

As for the update and removal functions, I've been familiarizing myself with the PowerShell snap-in cmdlets available, and believe I can write a script to both run all synchronizers and move/delete/update existing RDP connections as needed based on the LDAP filter search results. If the features get added to the synchronizer though, that would eliminate the need for a custom script, other than one to run the synchronizers periodically.

Clock4 yrs

Don't get me wrong. I do agree with you.
Have a nice weekend smile

//Brandur

Clock4 yrs