Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Show attachments in the navigation tree

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

At the moment the attachments are hidden under their own section. While this is somewhat good for files you may want to attach and possibly never refer to again, it isn't good for attachments you're regularly opening (like a spreadsheet/network diagram/etc), specifically since only some connections/folders actually have attachments.

I know there are Document types which can be put in the tree, however all of these except the text one, just link to a file somewhere. This means remote users, who have different network shares, would need to setup those shares before clicking this.

It would be good if they were visible in the navigation tree, just like "Sub Connections" are handled. For folders they could be sorted amongst the connections or subfolders, and for connections they could be visible and sorted amongst "Sub Connections".

On a similar note:
It would be good if all session types were treated the same. Such that a RDP session, could have a folder, which could contain links or documents, or other connections. This would make it a lot more customisable, and then you'd only need to create a session type which was an "attachment".

Clock6 yrs

It's interesting but we will quickly have a performance problem. I will see if I could have something similar but not exactly like that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hope everything works well. We'll be waiting for updates.

Clock6 yrs

Overall, we don't use it as a document repository or anything crazy like that, but there's some notes which are accessed so frequently, especially offsite remotely, which make RDM extremely handy for this purpose. The only problem we've had are people not realizing they were there.

Clock6 yrs

Why not create a sub connection of type text? I could even create a refactoring action to extract the note

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Yeah, we've been using that. It's just difficult to use with spreadsheet data, and network diagrams.

Clock6 yrs

You will enjoy the v8.5. We plan to create a document manager. You will be able to embed those documents.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Awesome. I am looking forward to it. Keep in the back of your mind the ability for it to be associated with hardware, and are able to be seen by expanding the hardware.

We're currently working on moving all of our KeePass data into RDM, as it's a much better solution for our environment.

Clock6 yrs

Document manager sounds great. I'm thinking centrally organizing docs and linking them to entries like shortcuts. Right now we don't use attachments much for the same reason: it's not easily visible and tends to be ignored or forgotten. There should be a visible indicator for entries with attachments - at least an option that can be turned on.

A bit off topic but since you mentioned a document manager: we use a TrueCrypt container for managing our secure docs. A big advantage is when opening an Excel spreadsheet containing sensitive info like logins, Excel creates a temporary working file (hidden) and this too gets stored on the TrueCrypt mounted volume. So sensitive data is not recorded to the HDD in unencrypted form - especially important on field laptops. I imagine the document manager isn't going to have a feature to mount encrypted volumes for working with secure docs but that would be awesome! It would allow us to get rid of TrueCrypt.
edited by _RNK_ on 1/7/2013

Clock6 yrs

Truecrypt seem to be a real good product. There is not plan for now for such thing but it's really interesting.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs