Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Linked folders/connections

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

There are many ways we can categorize our connections.

For example if Machine1 is a web server, in California, and is a virtual machine, if we want to have it listed in each of those locations, so various people are able to find it easily, you might have to maintain a navigation structure like this...
Sessions
- Locations
-- California
--- Machine1
--- VirtualHost1
---- Guests
----- Machine1

- Servers
-- Web Servers
--- Machine1

At the moment this is what we do. Each one of those connections above is separate connection. This means if I change the details under the web servers directory, the other 2 identical connections for Machine1 won't be changed.

This seems like a stupid problem, as they could always search for the machine, however sometimes they don't know what the machine name is, or what it does, or where it is. We could put keywords in there, however this means we would then need to standardize what keywords are used, and ensure they are consistently used and applied across all the connections by everyone around the world. (This is unlikely to happen)

It would be extremely good if a connection or folder of connections, could exist in many folders, which we could see under a tab in the connections details. I guess this would make it more like Gmails labels than Windows folders.

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Have you taken a look at the shortcut feature? I've just made few fixes in the v8.0.6.0 and it's now much better:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/edit_shortcut.htm

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Haven't seen this one yet. Good to know that there's always an easy way.

Clock6 yrs

Hi David,

Sorry, I hadn't seen that. This is what I was looking for, however it doesn't work with folders/groups. The Shortcut functionality makes it a LOT better, but we really need it on groups more.

Almost all of our servers have a folder for the server, and underneath that folder we have a list of connection types for that server. This means we really need Shortcuts for folders/groups, more than individual connections.

For example the structure might be like...
Servers
- London
-- Machine1.domain.co.uk
--- Machine1 RDP
--- Machine1 FTP Connections
---- RemoteUser1 FTP
---- RemoteUser2 FTP
---- RemoteUser3 FTP
-- Machine2.domain.co.uk
--- Machine2 RDP
--- Machine2 Intranet
Services
- FTP servers
-- Machine1.domain.co.uk
--- Machine1 RDP
--- Machine1 FTP Connections
---- RemoteUser1 FTP
---- RemoteUser2 FTP
---- RemoteUser3 FTP
- Intranet servers
-- Machine2.domain.co.uk
--- Machine2 RDP
--- Machine2 Intranet

Beyond that, I've got to say David, I am loving the rate at which you're fixing bugs, developing new functionality, and responding to the community online. It's really good, and makes this product well worth paying for.

Clock6 yrs

Thank you very much, you feedback is really appreciated. Do you mean that you want the content of the group or just the group?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The content of the group. So, if we created a shortcut for the group, it would look as though that group existed in 2 locations.

Though I can see that this would be a bit confusing for some, as they might not realize that editing 1 group, affects the other group.

Clock6 yrs

You're right. Think that you should duplicate the group and create shortcut in it.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs