Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Improve DS Connection Issue / Offline Prompt

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

My team all works from home offices. We all use IPSec tunnels to the data center where we host RDM's datasource on a SQL server. We are on 8.0.

If our IPSec tunnels drop for any reason, or one of us loose our WAN connections, we get the "Can't connect to datasource, do you want to go offline" (or something like that), and it offers "OK" or "Cancel", or something like that. (Sorry, just closed the dialog).

Usually by the time I see the dialog, the IPSec connection has re-established and we can see the data source again in Microsoft SQL Server Manager. However, if I hit cancel, to the question it just displays another error and I can't get out of it. If I hit "OK" it goes to offline mode, and I then either have to switch off the datasource and go back to it, or bounce the program.

What I would prefer is two things:

1) Have a "Retry" on the dialog box.
2) Ideally have that Retry have a count down timer where it auto-retries in 90 seconds so if we have RDM up 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and there are hiccups in connectivity while we are away, it just recovers. We would only need to see that dialog when we loose connections while we are using it.

Thanks,
Brett

Clock7 yrs

Hi Brett,
It hard to do a retry because this could happen in any operation. We could do that if it's a refresh of the tree view. The small workaround I can give is simple:

Press Cancel, Enter (to hide the error message) and Press F5 or click on the Refresh button. When you do a refresh, RDM tries to connect again.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I agree. So far, this is what I've been doing for the past few days. Works for me.

Clock7 yrs