Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Problem upgrading from RDMS to Devolutions Server

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
I'm having a hard time upgrading my data Sources from 2.2.21.0 (RDMS) to 2.5.0.0 (Devolutions Server). I started With updating the RDM-Client installed on the server (With IIS and SQL also on the same server), successfully to 10.5.4.0. When upgrading the data Sources (through the now called 'Devolutions Server - Console') the only options is through a recently downloaded .zip-file (as the web-Upgrade doesen't seem to fetch anything other than 2.2.21.0).
Luckily, we have two data Sources where as one of these is our test instance - this is what i first attempted to Upgrade. Our Production data Source is still working for Our users at Version 2.2.21.0.
The following output is showed when trying to Upgrade:
Starting upgrade...
Backing up the configuration...Done!
Backing up files...Done!
Unzipping content...Done!
Removing previous content...Done!
Installing content...Done!
Upgrading database for data source 'RDM - Testmiljo' with version 185
ERROR:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): XML parsing: line 1, character 26, end tag does not match start tag
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseConnectionDataSource.ExecuteNonQuery(String sql, IDbConnection dbConnection, IDbDataParameter[] parameters, Int32 commandTimeout)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseConnectionDataSource.ExecuteScript(String script, IDbConnection connection)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DatabaseUpgradeAction.Execute(DatabaseConnectionDataSource dataSource)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseConnectionDataSource.Upgrade(Boolean silent, LogMessageDelegate logMessage)
ClientConnectionId:8ffc2197-f73b-4eb4-ad02-692fa3ee2d1a
Error Number:9436,State:1,Class:16
Upgrading database...Error!
Restoring the configuration...Done!
Restoring the custom folder...Done!
Upgrade completed [1 error(s)]!
After a reboot of the server, I can, in fact, Connect to the newly upgraded data Source, but subsequent update attempts result in the same error which I'm not very comfortable With.

Any idea on where to start?

Clock5 yrs

Hi Rune Digernes,

Have you installed ASP.Net 4.5 on your server?

Please look at this topic to make sure that you meet all the requirements prior to the update
http://helpserver.devolutions.net/install_2012r2.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks for your swift reply!

We've had a fully working solution on the previous Version of RDMS for months, with all documentation and requirements checked and double checked - I haven't seen any documentation stating any new requirements for 2.5.0.0 compared to 2.2.21.0?

Or am I missing something? We are, as you assumed correctly, on 2012 R2.

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I have assigned your issue to our database administrator. He has an idea of what could be the problem.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I'm pretty sure I know that the issue is. I will get back to you soon.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks! Out of the blue, two things come to mind:

We are using a custom user on this server only, just for the purpose of RDM. So far it has worked splendidly, as the same user name and password is used for windows server login, admin rdm-login (for the rdm client on the server), and also sql sysadm as well as iis context, which is also on the same server. We did this to simplify troubleshooting for any eventual events like this. The user has, naturally, administrator rights on the server, but not the whole domain.

Secondly, as we're stationed in Norway we use the danish/norwegian charset on the sql-server.

Still, doesent seem related to the problem at hand. Just fyi.

Clock5 yrs

The issue here is caused by a failed conversion from string to XML, we didn't protect the code from special characters. You must have some XML reserved characters (&, <, >, ', or ") in a string (group name) that is causing the error.

I've sent you a SQL script to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I'll let you know the result as soon as I'm back at work (It's evening over here, and international labor day tomorrow). Thanks for the quick responses so far!

Clock5 yrs

After running the fix, the upgrade worked successfully. As for our production instance, just to be safe, I'll wait until the next release is available. Will then run an upgrade on our staging source first.

Thank you for solving the matter quickly!

Clock5 yrs

If anyone out there has the same error please contact support@devolutions.net for assistance.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Latest version (2.5.2.0) now successfully downloaded and installed with no errors. Thanks for Your help!

Clock5 yrs