Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Search Funtionality

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I upgraded the 7.6.x to 8.0 and realized search functionality has gone. It was on the right side of the lower status bar. Instead of that there is data source bar in there. It is possible to make that optional so i can move the search functionality in there? We rarely change the data source so having search box there more make sense for us. Also i see there is filter bar is there but if i am into rpd session and press CTRL+F it opens up Filter box and what ever the application in RDP session it opens find box for that application (Excel)

Thanks.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
The search is now under the navigation. We have removed it from the status bar because the framework we use now does not handle correctly the focus. It's now under the navigation panel or with the small button just before the quick connect section. You can disable the Ctrl+F if you want in the Keyboard option in File->Options

We will make the shortcut customizable in the next version

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
For those who requested the search back in the status bar, this version is for you:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.0.7.0.zip

Let me know if you have any issues

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I like having the search in the status bar however the data source should also stay at the bottom.I don't like the idea of have the Name sessions window being pushed down. For me personally it feels like we went backward on this one particular move in placing the data source back on top like the classic UI.

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
For those who requested the search back in the status bar, this version is for you:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.0.7.0.zip

Clock6 yrs

smile I have an hidden option for you:

Set UseDataSourceInStatusbar to false in remotedesktopmanager.cfg

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I also agree on that, but not sure if you still have this same issue on the latest version?

Clock6 yrs

Very nice that works for me, thanks!
David Hervieux wrote:

smile I have an hidden option for you:

Set UseDataSourceInStatusbar to false in remotedesktopmanager.cfg

Clock6 yrs

Felix Vigo wrote:

I like having the search in the status bar however the data source should also stay at the bottom.I don't like the idea of have the Name sessions window being pushed down. For me personally it feels like we went backward on this one particular move in placing the data source back on top like the classic UI.

David Hervieux wrote:
Hi,

Hi David,

I have an issue! Without wanting to start a "filter war", I hate having the the filter/search field back in the status bar (bottom left of the status bar is the worst place of all when you have an auto-hiding Windows taskbar!). I much prefer the 8.0.6 layout (and will be reverting back to) as I am constantly filtering my navigation pane to show the sessions I need to work with next (as opposed to getting a pop-up list of matching sessions). I rarely change the data sources so don't want it anywhere near my navigation tree. And why have it in the status bar either (it is a status bar)? There is a whole lot of space up there in the titlebar next to the Quick connect - why not have it there?

Even better, as I doubt you'll be able to please everyone Whaaaaa?, is it possible make the placement of these optional? Something along the lines of:

Search/filter: navigation pane, title bar, status bar, hidden
Datasource selector: navigation pane, title bar, status bar, hidden

and, while we're at it,

Quick connect: navigation pane, title bar, status bar, hidden

Thanks! (and keep up the otherwise great work! smile).

Cheers, Kent

Clock6 yrs

Hi Kent,
Take a look at this option in remotedesktopmanager.cfg

UseFilterInStatusbar

Make sure that it's set to false.

I knew that somebody will ask for the original v8 layout. By the way I will add those settings in in the UI. For the quick connect, I will eventually do the same thing.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Why no put it near the quick connect is simple. It just does work with the third party we use. They have a focus bug and my solution was to create a fake floating panel which is possible in the taskbar but hard in the titlebar since it's not possible to move a panel in it.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David, I was under the impression the suggestion you provided was an option a user can take but not the default for this particular feature as changing the UseDataSourceInStatusbar from false to true suited my needs for the RDm application. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would need to make that change when I upgrade to a new version which is fine with me unless the option that Kent has suggested of making features optional is created?

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi Kent,
Take a look at this option in remotedesktopmanager.cfg

UseFilterInStatusbar

Make sure that it's set to false.

I knew that somebody will ask for the original v8 layout. By the way I will add those settings in in the UI. For the quick connect, I will eventually do the same thing.

Excellent! Thank you (and I should have known that you'd have thought of this possibility - which is why I have recently renewed my license and opted for the additional 2 years maintenance smile)

Cheers, Kent

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Why no put it near the quick connect is simple. It just does work with the third party we use. They have a focus bug and my solution was to create a fake floating panel which is possible in the taskbar but hard in the titlebar since it's not possible to move a panel in it.

Ah, OK. Understand now. It's not a big deal to me at all. Just thought it'd maybe make the layout a little more logical.

Cheers, Kent

Clock6 yrs

@Felix

The default will be like it was in the v7.6 because it will be easier for those who does not have upgraded yet. However both options will be in the UI soon like Kent suggested:

Filter location: Status bar, Navigation panel
Data source list location: Status bar Navigation panel

Eventually I could do that for the quick connect:

Quick connect location: Titlebar, Navigation panel, Statusbar

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs