Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Just an idea - Host Connection Objects (Similar to Credentials)

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I like that when an account password Changes, it can be changed in a single location and it updates everything. How about doing something like this with Hostname/Host IP? I know that this should not be an issue when using DNS names as the hostname, but sometimes IP Addresses work better for whatever reason.

For instance, I have several entries to the same server (an SSH session, an IE session, and a VMware Server session). Because of some oddities in our environment (specifically out-of-band management and absurd f5s/proxies) it only works when using the IP Address. So if the IP Address of the host changes, I have to locate all of those entries and change them. If this were done as a host object, I could change this in a single place and all of the entries would update.

I guess this would behave like a lookup table for host field in the same way that the Credentials field works.

Clock4 yrs

I forgot to mention that the Host object would contain 2 fields- one for the Server IP Address and another for DRAC/iLO IP Address

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

We already have a solution for this, albeit maybe not as you expect.

The recommended way of handling this right now is to use a folder to represent the host, we have folder sub types that correspond to hardware, namely : Server, Workstation, Device, and Printer. When you choose these types of folders you will have extra fields to store the IP address.

You then create sessions below that folder, but instead of typing the IP address, you use our variables, in this case $COMPUTER_IP$. The variable resolution mechanism is to go up the folder structure above an entry until it finds a folder of the appropriate subtype. In this case, the COMPUTER prefix will match with the four folder subtypes mentioned above. When a corresponding folder is located, it will grab the requested field, in this case the IP field.

By the way, its also really useful to set the credentials on the folder, and to set the entries to use Inherited credentials.

I will shortly post an alternate method in another reply.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

For the ILO address, is it really another IP? Our folders support custom fields, these are also available with our variable system.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Cool. I never saw this feature before. That kind of works, although I would need to reorganize my sessions. This isnt necessarily a bad thing... I'm not sure there is any rhyme or reason to the way it's organized now!

Clock4 yrs

Yes, the DRAC/iLO network is out-of-band, and therefore uses a completely different IP Address.

Clock4 yrs

Here is the Alternate method, but it works best for really homogeneous environments where you almost always have the same connections to most hosts.

You can use our Host entry type, by itself its only information about a host. The advantage of using host entries is that they allow to connect to that host by selecting a template. The choice is made when you actually launch the session. You would have a template for each of you connection types: SSH, IE, etc.

The documentation on that type is on http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/sessions_host.htm

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

This is what I proposed wink
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic16160-resolve-hostname-first-if-fail-use-ip-history.aspx

It would be kinda awesome(I think).

//Brandur

Clock4 yrs