Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Description enhancement on "Group/Folder" entries.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We can add Descriptions to Group/Folder entries, but that description does not show up when you click on a parent group to show all chidren. The children that are groups just have the path name with a line, with no description. This is where I would most like to see description.
If you have a server group for a given server, and it has 4 children. The description like "Front End Web Server" makes the most sense on the server group entity, not on each individual connection type. (I realize I could use a RDP entry and then use sub-connections. But I have too many things where I need the sub-connections to have sub-connections, which isn't supported, so my sever level grouping is a group entity, with RDP under that, with Subs, and then The data report feature also under the server level, etc.).

It would be nice if the Server OS, etc. could also be shown in the dashboard list view too.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
You can activate the Group description by clicking Show Group Description/Details right next to the session count in the dashboard

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Yes, I am aware of that one, but it doesn't do what I want. It only shows it down at the bottom. This is what I am looking for
Say I have

+Customer ACME (Group)
+HQ (Group)

+Server Room 1 (Group)
+ Node1 (Group: Server Type)
+ RDP
- SSH (Subconnection)
- Web (Subconnection)
+ SQL Server Management Studio
- DataTable 1 (subconnection)
- DataTable 2 (subconnection)
+ Node2 RDP (Group: Server Type)
+ RDP
- SSH (Subconnection)
- Web (Subconnection)

If I click on "HQ" group on the session navigator, the dashboard area shows all the children, including the two groups (Server Room 1, Node 1, Node 2) and all the child sessions and sub-connections. However, I have to click on each one to see the server group's to see the description descrption. I really want to put descriptions on the "Node 1 (Group: Server Type)" and have a description like "Primary Backend Database Server" and then on Node2 "Primary Front End Server". If I have 20 servers under Server Room 1, I want to be able to see in dashboard view the descriptions on each at a glance in the third column "Description" in the dashboard view, and not in the tabs at the bottom that require you to click on a specific entry.

I probably wouldn't want this if a session connection could have nested sub-connections, but right now you can't so I can't put the SQL Server Management Studio under RDP, and then put the datatables under SQL Server, I have to make SQL server a parent entry. We are finding the the server grouping is good per server, but when you have a lot of sub-folder server groups in a particular folder, such as this:

Server-A100
Server-A102
Server-A103
Server-A110
Server-A123
Server-A144
Server-A150
Server-A155
Server-A156
Server-A182
Server-A222
Server-A233
Server-A234
Server-A244
Server-A255
Server-A256
Server-A288
Server-A299
Server-A300
Server-A302

It would be nice to have a way to see the description (as well as the OS, from the Info tab) show up in the dashboard next to each group. Right now groups just have the name of the group as a path, and no other info.

I hope this helps you understand my "nice to have" feature request!

Thanks,
Brett

Clock7 yrs

It's only a beginning but in the current beta, you can see the description in another column.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs