Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Add-on to manage ASA?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi, I'm using your software on a daily basis and it's the most useful thing I've ever adopted to manage remote "stuff" Big Grin
Is there any chance to have an add-on for an entry that can launch the ASDM-IDM (a java appliance that manages Cisco ASA)?
Thanks!

Marco

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
This has already been asked but we haven't found a way to integrate it. Do you have an idea?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

as a starting point, as suggested here (https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2073337) we could execute the remote java binary.
The java binary called is javaws.exe, with the argument "https://<hostname>/admin/public/asdm.jnlp"
No idea on how to pass credentials, anyway :/

Clock7 yrs

We already support Java Web Start in the application. Maybe you could configure an Auto typing macro in the Event tab page. This macro could send the credentials if this application prompt for it.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Creating a RDM addin that would allow the launch of Cisco's ASDM program from within RDM would be great idea. Very useful.

Clock6 yrs

Have you tried the Java Web Start add-on?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

hi, we solve it by doing following steps:

create entry "command line"
run: javaws "https://<hostname>/admin/public/asdm.jnlp"

on events-tab:
after connection
activate: execute automatically
enter following macro: {WINDOW:ASDM-IDM}{BS}$USERNAME${TAB}$PASSWORD${ENTER}

We store Username & Password in Credential-Entry. You can create with New-Entry, Username/Password

since 8.0.12.0 it works really great, past versions of RDM had Problem with Vars
edited by SMG on 1/14/2013

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock6 yrs

That's great. Thank you very much

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi SMG,

If i'm try to create a new command line entry, i only have three tabs 'General' 'More' 'Advanced' en not the 'event tab'

Or are you using the 'java web start entry' because there all the tabs are available.

i'm using version 8.0.12.0 with the java web start addon installed
edited by dgit on 1/23/2013

Clock6 yrs

Could you post the a print screen please?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Here is the link to the screendump
http://tinypic.com/r/s3nc7r/6

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Thank you for the print screen. You haven't used the right command line. You used the Macro/Script/Tool one and not the one linked to a session.

CommanddLine

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

CommanddLine.png
Clock6 yrs

So I stumbled onto the fix because I was distracted at work... I would love for an addon to be made so that a field can be used to input the hostname/IP.... if anyone is good at that kind of thing...

Use command line session type with the following settings
Run - javaws.exe https://(hostname or IP Address)/admin/public/asdm.jnlp
Working Directory - Default works fine
use shell exec

You can also use javaws.exe https://$HOST_WITH_PORT$/admin/public/asdm.jnlp so that you can use the session setup... That is what I am doing now, but I hope we can get a session type for this.

EDIT: You may need to add a 5-10 second initial delay on the login macro, or it won't work....

edited by idbash on 1/23/2013

asdm.png
Clock6 yrs

Hi Guys,

we also figured out a 2nd possibility which also works with pix:

Entry: Command Line
Credentials from Credential Repository

General Tab:
Run: %SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true -classpath lzma.jar;jploader.jar;asdm-launcher.jar;retroweaver-rt-2.0.jar com.cisco.launcher.Launcher
This works with 64bit-OS, you have to modify Path to javaw.exe for 32bit-OS

Working dir: %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Cisco Systems\ASDM\
This indicates -> you have to install ASDM, easiest way: connect to your asa,pix through browser and select "Install ASDM Launcher and Run ASDM"

Activate "Use Shell Execute"

Host and Credentials Tab:
Host: insert Hostname or IP + Port if not Standardconfiguration, ex. 8.8.8.8:444

In Events Tab:
Activate "Execute automatically"
Enter following Macro: {WINDOW:ASDM-IDM}$HOST${TAB}{DELAY}$USERNAME${TAB}{DELAY}$PASSWORD${TAB}{ENTER}

Initial wait & Delay can be changed, but works perfect 4 me with "initial wait": 1 sec and Delay 300ms

Thats it and its better solution if you are using both - asa and pix
edited by SMG on 1/24/2013

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock6 yrs

Hi Guys,

Using the information you posted on this forum I created a new add-on.
Would you give a try please ?

I'm opened to suggestions.

*** I forgot something important !!!***
You will need the new version of the beta version.
Please wait for a future post about it.

Regards,
edited by asanscartier on 2/14/2013

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

CiscoASDM1.0.0.0.zip
Clock6 yrs

Hi,

The new beta version 8.0.25.0 is available for download and it's now possible to test the new add-on of my previous post.

Regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

how to use?
cannot find a add-on

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
It's the attachment of my post of 6 days ago.
Here a copy. Just download it, extract it and copy it with the application executable.
When the official version will be release just remove this test version before install it.
Regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

CiscoASDM1.0.0.0[1].zip
Clock6 yrs

o, thx,
it was so tiny, havent seen

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock6 yrs

4me it works great,

both possibilities ASDM & JWS,

very good done: retry-button 4 Makro ;-)

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock6 yrs

Hey,

I can't find this Add-on in the Addon Manager upset

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Sorry about that. This is now available in the add-on manager.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
Sorry about that. This is now available in the add-on manager.

So I setup my connection, select 'Locally Installed ASDM' then find javaw.exe path. When I try to open ASDM connection it wants to log me automatically (script running). How do I disable it? I just want ASDM to prompt me for sign on. I don't want to store user/password.
Thanks

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I will ask andré to update the add-on to ignore empty credentials.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
I will ask andré to update the add-on to ignore empty credentials.

Thank you. RDM is great app.

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

It's now possible to supply username and password, only the username or none of both.
This new version is available in the Add-on Manager.

Regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi André,
what about only password? I'm trying with "blank" username, but nothing happens: I see the cursor moves from user field to passwords one, but it remains empty (I tried with a fake username and I saw both user and password fields filled up).
Thanks in advance,

--
Marco Dodi
edited by MrkDodd on 5/25/2013
edited by MrkDodd on 5/26/2013

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
This is a new version (attached file) that normaly support a blank username.
Could you test it please?

Best regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

CiscoASDM1.0.2.3.zip
Clock6 yrs

Kind André,
it works perfectly! Your software is very useful and your customer support is awesome!
Many compliments.

Regards,

--
Marco Dodi

Clock6 yrs

Howdy!

I stumbled across the new Cisco ASA add-on this morning. Considering that my team manages about five dozen firewalls, this will be a huge time saver! Another great bit of software from Devolutions.

I was able to configure the add-on quickly, and am in the process of converting over all of my Cisco ASA connections from a web page link to this new add-on.

Everything is working perfectly, except when the add-on presses OK the first time, it contacts the ASA, which rejects the credentials, then prompts again for the credentials. I can this cancel the credential reprompt, then get an error dialog box that says Unable to lunch device manager.

So I figure that I've entered the credentials wrong. I went back and retyped them and it worked fine. But it kept failing when using RDM. I then discovered that if I just cancel the credential reprompt and the error dialog box, I can just hit OK again using the same credentials that RDM entered, and it works fine.

To test further, I changed the login title, so that RDM never enters the credentials, and also leave the credentials blank, I then fill them in manually, and it still will not work the first time.

I can launch the same web page by going to the web URL: http://ipaddress and click the link to run the Java Web Start ASDM, and the credentials will take the first time.

I don't know how to describe it, but it appears somehow that opening the ASDM Java Web Start via RDM or via a web page is somehow slightly different. I'm totally thrown for a loop that I can just tell the same ASDM-IDM window to submit thsame credentials the seconds time and it works like a champ.

Help!
Thanh

Clock6 yrs