Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Improve Feature - Azure Console

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello -
I think there was a thread on this a long time ago, but are there any plans to improve upon the Azure console? The current one appears to have been designed around Azure circa 2009, and it only allows basic management of web/worker roles. It would be awesome to have a complete Azure management console where I can manage many of my Azure resources.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
That's funny since Hubert is currently working on it.

http://blog.devolutions.net/2015/01/devolutions-roadmap-2015.html

I'm not sure if we will be able to support everything but it should be a major improvement.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hey, cool.. would help if I read blog more often smile

I know it's like trying to boil the ocean to keep up with additions to Azure, but hitting the high points would be a great start.

Thanks!

Clock4 yrs

Hello Chris,

The rework of the Azure console was delayed a little, but it's now in the works. I wanted to ask, are there any specific features that you were looking forward to in the console? Of course we will keep adding to it, but it'd be good to know a few specific features that are requested.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hubert Mireault wrote:

Hello Chris,

The rework of the Azure console was delayed a little, but it's now in the works. I wanted to ask, are there any specific features that you were looking forward to in the console? Of course we will keep adding to it, but it'd be good to know a few specific features that are requested.

Regards,

Hi, Great news! Well, of course, i'd like the ability to manage everything I can in the portal (inclusive of the new azure portal), but as a MVP for a first swing at it, I would say basic management of IaaS VM's would be nice (restart, create, shutdown, startup, change settings, etc.), in addition to fixing things now that already exist but don't work so well like managing cloud services, restarting web/worker roles, etc. Ultimately, I would like to foresee something that mimics the mini azure management tool that's built into visual studio.

Hope this helps!

Clock4 yrs

Thank you for the requests, Chris! For the next RDM beta version, you will be able to see Azure VMs (I believe in the previous version, since we used the old API, we couldn't even show them) and start/stop/reboot them. Creating new ones and changing their settings will come at a later date but I'll keep you updated.

As for certain features not working too great with cloud services and web worker/roles, when the new RDM beta is out and you can test the improved Azure console, could you give it a shot and see if those issues still occur? If you do find any bugs in relation to the new console, you can start a thread in our bug report section of the forum.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Great, i'll check it out when next beta comes out. I think the other issues I saw were because, as you said, due to use of the old API. Azure storage accounts (blob & table), while functional, are sorta glitchy as well, which may be because of old API use as well. If you get a chance to look at those, it would be good.

How can I get notified or DL the betas? Don't think i have seen that before.

Thanks!

Clock4 yrs

I'll take a look at the Azure storage entries when I can, updating the API is required anyway so we don't get in trouble when Microsoft stops supporting the older versions.

For the Beta version, you can check here http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download#beta The download should be located below the usual download links. You can check the version history to see if the changes for the Azure console are there, I think it should be available in version 10.9.7.0. If you have the latest version of RDM, you can get notified of Beta versions by going in File > Options > General > Application Start, and change the combobox for auto updates to "All Updates Including Beta".

Regards,
edited by Hubert Mireault on 7/15/2015

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Update on the subject:

- Create VM and create VM deployment added. This doesn't have every single customization feature but it'll be much easier to add further fields due to now having a base to work with.

- Delete VM and delete role instances. You will now be able to delete VMs, as well as specific role instances (when you use increase/decrease instance count, it always removes the last ones first).

- New icons and a little bit of reworking of how the buttons act, which should hopefully make it easier to understand.

This should be available in the next beta version of RDM.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs