Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Color-based manual "online" check

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Since RDM can utilize Wake On LAN it would be great to be able to right-click on a folder or computer and do a "WOL Check" or simliar, and all systems that are seen as online would "light up" somehow. Maybe the name would turn green. I would rather see this as a manual process as I wouldn't want RDM constantly or even regularly polling all folders and systems to see if they're online.

Clock7 yrs

What do you mean bu WOL Check? Something similar to a ping?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

What do you mean bu WOL Check? Something similar to a ping?

I guess that's right... If the machine responds to a single ping then it would be indicated. I use a separate app for that (Aquila's WakeOnLan http://sourceforge.net/projects/aquilawol/) and I'm not sure if it's pinging constantly or how it's finding out if a system is live but it knows and if a system is offline it's grayed out almost immediately.
Of course this would work best for systems that are available to you in the LAN, and wouldn't want everything being pinged all the time.

Clock7 yrs

You can activate this feature in the Option: "Check host availability"

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

You can activate this feature in the Option: "Check host availability"

This is turned on by default, it appears... but I'm not sure what this setting does. I don't see a visual difference between systems that are online versus ones I know are offline. How is online/offline status displayed?

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
It's turn off by default in the application option. You can override it in the session.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
It's turn off by default in the application option. You can override it in the session.

It's enabled, but how does it visually indicated at a glance, which systems are online and which are not?

Clock7 yrs

It's usually red when it's unavailable but you need to do a refresh
<em>edited by dhervieux on 5/5/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Nice feature. I didnt even realized that it was there all the time.
But it wont work with the $NAME$ - Var.

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

It's usually red when it's unavailable but you need to do a refresh
edited by dhervieux on 5/5/2012

Ah, I see that now after restarting it. Now my key concern was to make sure I wasn't doing a continuous ping or causing undue network traffic and attention to all the servers and sites whenever I was running RDM. So I was hoping this could eventually be setup as a feature you could decide to manually check on one server connection or a whole folder of server connections. That way you would only be doing a ping/connectivity test once in a while, only to the server(s) or site(s) you wanted.

Clock7 yrs

It's possible to disable it in the session. The setting is in the Advanced tab page of the session.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs