Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Documentation - editable table

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have just found out that we cannot edit an excel spreadsheet that is embedded. Is this feature coming soon? Or is something like an embedded table format documentation in the works?

Clock4 yrs

Embedded uses a viewer not a Excel so therefore you will not be able to edit the data there.

If you use external in the Display settings it will open in Excel and you could edit the file, then it is a question if it is stored where you can save it directly or you would need to upload it to the server again.

Regards,
Ingvar Orn Ingolfsson
System Engineer
Axdata AS - Norway

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
We use the DevExpress component and they do have something similar to Excel.

https://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/Controls/WinForms/Spreadsheet/

This means that we could do something like that directly in RDM. I will enter a feature request.

Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Wow, DevExpress would work awesome. It would also allow us to work outside the xls format. I'll keep my eye out on future betas.

Thanks!!

btw awesome product, even better support!

Clock4 yrs

Hi, is this spreadsheet style integration something that might happen soon, or does it look like it's a long ways off? We are looking for a solution to hold all our client network documentation and credentials.

Thanks

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
I would say in about 3 months. It will not be in a minor update unfortunately.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Thought I would just check in and see if there is any more news on integrating this spreadsheet style documentation with devexpress? We now have over 200 clients in RDM and would love to move our documentation over as well.

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
We've just finished the native PDF and we have working prototype of the spreadsheet. This won't be in RDM 10.5 (to be released next week) but really soon after that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Any chance this feature is coming soon? or can you give me an update?

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
This should be available soon. It will be in RDM 11 for sure.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Good to hear, thanks for the quick reply.

Clock4 yrs

Hi David,

Yes! I see it there now, and it works great for our use. One final question

We would like to backup the data (spreadsheet files) stored and realize the only way is to Save Document As option. Is there anyway to save multiple documents at one time, like collect all spreadsheet documents and save them all at once? Or is there an option to export this data that I may have missed?

Thanks

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
For now it's not possible and I'm not sure how easy it will be to add this. I will enter a feature request but I doubt that we will be able to add this for the version 11.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

OK thanks. Either option would work great, export and save the files in a directory, or find all document files and Save As for all at once.

Rob

Clock4 yrs

Sorry to bother again. Now we would like to restrict by User or Role, the ability to Save As the document or at least have the Save As action logged so we can tell if someone is moving the documents off-line.

Let me know if I am in the wrong thread and should move this.

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

The save as should only be available if the user can edit the document? What do you think?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

In our environment we want everyone to be able to edit but not Save. We keep sensitive client documentation in this format and although they can copy and paste it would be nice if they could not save the spreadsheet entirely. Ideally a checkbox in User Management Privileges..... with Import Export. Can Save Documents. Something like that.

My secondary work around would just be a log entry for someone saving a document, at least we could hunt them down. :-)

Thanks again.

Clock4 yrs

Thinking more about this, and now that we have over 100 documents being stored in RDM, the most elegant and maybe easiest solution would be to just have an option on Export .... Export with documents .... That would export the rdm database and then export the documents in a directory with structure similar to current layout. ie: Client|ABCClient|Document.xls.

Would that be something within reach?

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
That could be possible but it's little bit tricky to add in the UI. It just for a backup?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Yes, just for a backup. I have this paranoia about having files inside a SQL field.

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

I see you have now added an embedded rich text editor which is awesome, we are using the spreadsheet one all the time now.

I don't mean to nag but any progress on setting up an export so we can get a backup of these documents. We have some fear around if our SQL db goes sideways, we can always run sessions in other ways but not having our documentation would be pretty tough.

Just a separate Export option 'Export stored documents' would be really handy, even if it saved them all in one directory with a filename structure cooresponding to the tree layout ... or something like that.

Thanks for the consideration.
Rob

Clock4 yrs

Hi Rob,
It still on our todo list but it's not assigned yet. I will see what we can do.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Rob,

I wanted to let you know I'm working on this and it should be done next week. I'll keep you updated.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

This should be available in the next version of RDM. The option will be in File > Export or right click in the entry tree > Export > Export special, under "Export all documents". You will be able to select the destination folder as well as if you just want to export documents (the entry type), attachments, or both. The export will mimic the folder structure you had in RDM.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

This is fantastic, looking forward to it. Thanks Hubert!

Clock4 yrs

Ah, I see it in this latest version but on my system it does not work, either gives error when trying to Export document entries, or says zero exported with Export attachments. Just want to make sure not something I missed in my config to make this work.

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

Thanks for trying it out with your setup.

What kind of error does it give when trying to export? What kinds of documents are stored as documents and attachments (excel files, text files, etc)? And what path are you trying to export the documents to, is it a network share or is it on your local machine?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I have stripped down to one editable spreadsheet where I stored an excel spreadsheet in the SQL database. SQL Database is on remote server.

I am exporting to local drive.

When Export Attachments .... RDM locks up, even if there are no documents in the system
When Export document entries .... I get the Invalid characters even with my one file called test.

What can I try next?

Thanks
Rob

Clock4 yrs

I'm unable to reproduce the issue on my end. Could you send your application logs (Help > View application log) to me at hmireault@devolutions.net ? There might be something that could help there.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

A tentative fix will be available in the next version of RDM, could you give it a try when it's out? Thank you.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs