Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Bug Report

RDMS hangs when SQL is offline but RDMS not.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

Had a downtime on my SQL yesterday evening who broke totally my RDM client also so I needed to take up a normal RDP client to the RDMS server and take him offline till the SQL was up again.

That way my clients went offline an was able to keep on working in cached mode.

So the bug is that the RDMS does not go offline so the client hangs trying to update the data entry's.
Possible solutions would be to make a automatic process in RDMS so it will go offline if the SQL is offline or other solution could be running a cached database on the RDMS server that would be synced up when the SQL is up again.

Regards,
Ingvar Orn Ingolfsson
System Engineer
Axdata AS - Norway

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
RDM is supposed to go automatically offline if it's enabled in the data source. Have you enabled the offline mode in File->Data Source?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I think you have misunderstood little bit.

The problem is that the RDMS server never goes offline and RDM is connected to the RDMS server but the SQL server who is running on another server is down so there is no data available for RDMS.

I have tried this now in my test environment and same issue every time, if I take down the SQL without taking down the RDMS server then my RDM client simple hangs up till it crashes.

I have offline mode enabled in the client and data source settings and that works like a charm if I take down the RDMS server itself but not if I only take the SQL server who has the RDMS database.

Also one Q related the same, could a setup two RDMS server and use NLB or round robin to let them work as a cluster, then running database sync on the two SQL databases on the backside who will then run database mirroring between the databases. That way I would have a totally duplicated system so my users would not be affected by downtime if something goes wrong. This is something we have in place for other systems so the servers are already there so I will be trying this soon but would be nice to get some input on this.

See the picture for better understanding of the design.

Regards,
Ingvar Orn Ingolfsson
System Engineer
Axdata AS - Norway

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
Now I understand. I have entered an enhancement request for that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs