Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Running Scripts against Playlist / Schedulder

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello Devolutions Team

It would be great to be able to run scripts agains playlists. For example we have a script which downloads the configuration of a firewall and saves it on our server. With this feature, we would just have to maintain a Playlist with all firewalls and could run the script against it.

... which brings me to the second feature request of having scheduled runs of scripts (and also against Playlists) so we could schedule the download or other maintenance scripts (reboots etc.) for a specific date and time.

This would give us all more free time and more sleep.. :-))

These two features would be great. If you need any more specifics just let me know.

Best regards.
Patrick

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
What kind of script do you want to run? Is it Powershell scripts or SSH scripts or anything else?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Hi David

A SSH script. We can already do it like described in this topic: http://forum.devolutions.net/messages.aspx?TopicID=17622

At the monent we have to nark all firewalls manually, open them and select them again and run the scripts. So with a playlist it would be much essier and also usable for people which don't know which firewalls to select.

Best regards.
Patrick

Clock5 yrs

Ok, just to be sure you won't mind to open the SSH connection if it's not already opened?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Are you aware that you can create a playlist and use the Select in Navigation Panel button to select them all?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

The idea would be that the SSH connections would also be opened automatically and then the scripts are executed.

No I did not know that.. I will do a test with it aswell.

Clock5 yrs

Great. I will enter a feature request for that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

For both (playlist and scheduler)

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks a lot David!

Clock5 yrs

Hey David

Just wondering how these two features are coming along. Would be great to have them on board.

All the best.
Patrick
edited by mad on 11/27/2014

Clock4 yrs

Unfortunately we won't be able to add this in RDM 10.1. We are about to release it and those feature will require more development time.

Sorry about that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Any update on the status of this?

Clock4 yrs

It still on our todo list for the next major release.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David

When is the next major release planned? We have now all our scripts ready, and it would be just great to have them run automatically against a playlist during the night. (for backups etc.)

Have a great day.
Patrick

Clock4 yrs

The next release is planned for the end of September. I will try to test this setup soon.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Sounds good, if I can help in any way. Alpha Testing etc. just let me know.

Clock4 yrs

Hello David

Did the Scheduler for Playlist made it into the major release?

Best regards
Patrick

Clock4 yrs

No for technical reason but I promise to work on it really soon.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I have assigned this to Hubert and he should be able to work on this in 2 weeks. We decided to implement two old feature requests before the scheduling:

Session recording
Import from inventory report

This is not an excuse but an explanation. Don't worry we should have the time soon to work on this.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Thanks a lot David! I understand that older wishes were setup first. Looking forward for the integration. If I can help testing etc. just let me know. Best Regards, Patrick

Clock4 yrs

Hello Patrick,

I wanted to let you know I'll be working on this next week. We have a few things planned for this right now:

1. In the playlist management form, there will be a button to execute a script against the selected playlist. This is in case you want to do this manually rather than scheduled.

2. To allow for a scheduled execution, we will add a switch to the RDM command line interface to specify a macro/script/tool connection to be executed against a playlist. This will work with a playlist type RDM entry.

If you have any other idea that could allow for more flexibility or if these don't answer your issues, we'd like to hear about it.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

These two features should be available in the next version of RDM.

A clarification on point number 2 since it's not yet in our help manual: the command is /MacroScript:GUID where GUID is the connection ID of the script you want to execute on your playlist. The easiest way to setup a shortcut to this would be to go to your playlist entry and in the advanced tab, create a desktop shortcut. Then, you'd edit the created shortcut and add the /MacroScript:<GUID> switch at the end. To find an entry's ID, it's always located in the advanced tab of said entry. There is no "easy" way to do this yet (like the create desktop shortcut button) but we're considering adding it down the line especially if it ends up being used more often.

In addition to this, scripts will now have a "Close target connection after execution" which will close the target of the macro after it's done executing.

Hopefully this answers your issues and works as expected in your use-case. Feedback would be appreciated once this is available.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello Hubert!

Sorry for not getting back to you yet, but I did not get any email that there was an update on this topic... even if I still watch it, as I can "stop watch" this topic. Strange, any idea why I don't get these emails anymore?

I will test that out asap. In which version is it included? In the actual Beta 11.06?

This sounds very promising, thanks a lot!

Best regards.
Patrick

Clock4 yrs

Hello Patrick,

I believe we've had issues with the forum's email notification system recently. This should be fixed now, could you confirm if you got an email with this reply?

As for the changes I described in my previous post, it should be available since version 11.0.4.0, so the latest minor version 11.0.6.0 includes it too!

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs