Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Crash on SSH timeout

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Whenever a SSH session closes due to timeout while using the built in SSH client the entire RDM program hangs and has to be terminated. It does not happen every time a session closes, but I would estimate it is at least 80% of the time. Here is all the relevant info I can think of. I am unfamiliar with any debug logs in RDM so please let me know if there is additional data I can upload.

- RDM Enterprise
- Has occurred on all versions of RDM v9 and v10 up the current 10.0.4.0
- Repeatable on 3 different computers running both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (all x64 Pro)
- Data source is SQL (tried versions 2008 R2 and 2014)
- Never occurs with Putty SSH sessions
- Sessions always close OK if manually closed, only occurs on session timeout
- Occurs with two different data sources that have never shared any data
- Sessions are to many different kinds of clients including various Linux and Cisco devices
- There is nothing in the Windows Event log except a message that the application hung
- I had used RDM for 2 years without a single crash before I tried switching from Putty to the built in SSH client. So I am fairly confident that the issue has to be related to the SSH client.

Thanks,
Brian

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Do you see anything in the application logs help- View Application Logs?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Originally, no, there was nothing in the application log. However, I did manage to turn on some debug level logging. I just received the following during a crash on a system running 9.2.10.0.

[10/24/2014 08:35:14]ERROR SILENT Rebex.TerminalEmulation.TerminalException: Cannot send data because the terminal is not bound to a channel.
at Rebex.TerminalEmulation.TerminalControl.SendToServer(String text)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Frames.Embedded.FreEmbeddedSshShell.Disconnecting()
[10/24/2014 09:10:42]INFO RDP - Disconnect:3 / exDiscReasonReplacedByOtherConnection

Clock6 yrs

Could you uncheck the setting Exit command on disconnect to see if this resolve your issue?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I will give that a try. I currently have 586 entries that use a variety of types including many SSH sessions still using Putty. Do you know of a way to update that setting for all entries that use the built in client at once? I would do a batch edit but I do not know how to filter the list to exclude the Putty based sessions.

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I think that a powershell script will be the best option. I will check with Maurice for that. Could you verify before with few session to see if this help?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello,

Does it work to your satisfaction with the changed setting?

I will wait for your reply before I start on a script.

Best regards,
edited by mcote on 10/25/2014

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I had another crash following unchecking the exit command on disconnect option.

Clock6 yrs

Anything in the log?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello,

With the Exit Command setting false, the TerminalException you had experienced above can not occur. Is there something different in your application logs?

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I received no log messages at all.

Clock6 yrs

please send me your application log using private message.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

My team experiences the exact same issue, and we currently use RDM to manage thousands of devices via embedded SSH. Unchecking "exit command on disconnect" seems to keep the program from crashing, which is an improvement. However, the tab the session was open in now closes automatically which is not the desire behavior since we often come back to sessions after they time out to reconnect from the task bar to avoid having to change data sources or finding the device again.

Any chance you can work with the third party vendor or modify your intergradation to address the root cause of this bug? Again, this does not happen with the built in telnet client or putty.

I'm running the beta that came out this morning but have seen this behavior since version 9.

Thanks,

Clock6 yrs

Scratch that, it still crashes RDM even with that box unchecked at least half the time. This is a huge bug for a global enterprise using this as replacement for Secure CRT & putty with thousands of SSH sessions. I really hope you fix it in upcoming releases.

I saw that SSH dispose update this morning for the latest beta and got all excited, but then learned that was an unrelated issue upset

Good work on per client terminal colors though, that was a big win for my team!

Clock6 yrs

@phillipj

Are you able to reproduce it all the time? Perhaps we could add some logging?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Are you using the KeepAlive feature and if so at which value?
Regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Leep alive is set to default, 0. I can reproduce this in a few minutes time by setting the exec-time out value on a Cisco switch to 1 minute on a SSH Shell session using "My personal Creds" to login and with no other customization. After letting it time out a couple times it will lock up RDM and require a restart.

Clock6 yrs

I think the "close window on disconnect" option (turned on by default) is causing the issue. Testing now with that turned off to see if it resolves the issue.

Clock6 yrs

Yep, it's a bug with "close window on disconnect" in SSH Shell that locks RDM some of the time. We don't like that option anyway so have updated all our templates to uncheck that box. Now we just have a few thousand devices to apply it to LOL

Clock6 yrs

Hi All,

Has there been any updates on this? My only workaround at present is to use PuTTY which does not provide the tigh controls and logging that I require.

Clock5 yrs

We haven't been able to reproduce it for now. However we plan to expand the Putty code soon and use it a replacement of the current rebex engine. Could you give more details on what is missing?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I am able to repeat this problem regularly, please let me know if you would like any assistance trying to reproduce it or would like some logs.

Clock5 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

We haven't been able to reproduce it for now. However we plan to expand the Putty code soon and use it a replacement of the current rebex engine. Could you give more details on what is missing?

I can't imagine you guys would be able to recreate the functionality and tight intergradation of the rebex ssh/telnet engine with putty without significant changes and baking their source code into RDM. Are you guys actually planning on dropping your license to use rebex's telnet/ssh libraries and completely replacing it with putty or would we still have both options?

To anyone having to use putty as a work around, the "close window on disconnect" option (turned on by default) is causing this issue. Uncheck that and the native SSH client stops crashing.

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
We will always offer both but we have some feature not available in rebex that will be with the Putty engine. It's just that it will be easier with Putty since we have the source code and we can create a fork. We will have more control.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs