Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Mikrotik Winbox Embedded Mode

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have a couple hundred Mikrotik routers that we administer; as a result, we make extensive use of the Winbox plug-in. I am aware that a Windows hack is used to embed certain applications in RDM. Is this hack feasible to apply to the Winbox plug-in? If not, what specific limitation exists? We have a good working relationship with Mikrotik, and if there is some limitation that prevents embedding, I'd like to relay it to the Mikrotik development team.

Clock5 yrs

Hi Brandon,
I don't remember specifically why we don't support the embedded mode for Mikrotik but you could try to test it by yourself. Just create a Cmd session with the Mikrotik command line and select embedded. We wil be able to support it if it works with the Cmd session.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Just tried it; embed works from a CMD session.

EDIT: It does seem a little touchy on the embedded wait time. The embed doesn't work if the main window takes longer than the specified delay to connect, I assume that's why the option exists for CMD in the first place. Winbox's main window doesn't launch until after two dialog boxes indicating status open and then close (upon successful conection, otherwise an error dialog is displayed).
edited by bstaggs on 10/11/2014

Clock5 yrs

That's great. I will enter a feature request to add this in the add-on. Thank you for you help

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks! Feel free to contact me if there is any testing or the like I can do to assist.

Clock5 yrs

Hi Brandon,

We have added compatibility for embedded mode for Winbox.
When possible, could you please test the add-on in embedded mode and give us some feedback?
To install the add-on, you need to extract the DLL file and put it in %LocalAppData%\devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager\

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Winbox2.1.0.0.zip
Clock5 yrs

Great -- I've got it installed now, and I'll have the other net admin here that works heavily with Winbox test it with me. We'll try to break it, but so far I haven't hit a hitch.

Clock5 yrs

Thank you for testing it for us. If you do find anything else that doesn't work right with it, be sure to leave some feedback.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Sometimes the embed fails once the session connects, but I have yet to find a specific pattern. The only variable that immediately springs to mind is the time it takes for the main window to display on successful connection. It doesn't seem to be a connection-specific bug, as the same session will fail to embed, but then succeed on a subsequent try. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to intentionally delay the connection without rejecting it as a method of confirming this theory.

Clock5 yrs

There is a correlation between higher network latency (which translates into increased delay when spawning the main window) and successful embeds.

Testing environment is a fresh and updated Windows 7 Pro (x64) VM running inside VMWare Workstation 10 with only RDM v.10.0.4.0 and Winbox v.3.0 installed. To introduce latency, I used a live linux distro called WANem to act as a gateway for the test VM. That is in turn connected to a Mikrotik RB450G running routerOS 6.18.

Before introducing latency, the Windows 7 VM gets <1ms to 1ms when pinging the Mikrotik router. The RDM embed succeeds 100% of the time in this configuration. It also has a 100% success rate when up to 10ms of network latency is introduced.

At greater than 10ms network latency, things become unstable. 11ms-39ms of latency results in embed failures, though sometimes it succeeds (I attribute the success/failure inconsistency in this range to other factors that can introduce latency into the process, such as disk access, CPU usage, etc.).

At greater than 40ms of network latency, the embed fails 100% of the time. The tab is created, but the main Winbox window is never brought inside.
edited by bstaggs on 10/20/2014

Clock5 yrs

Hello,

I have added some time before the embedded frame is created, as RDM seems to think both the waiting window and the actual program window are the same.

Could you test out this version and see if it works out better for you?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Winbox2.2.0.0.zip
Clock5 yrs