Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Better Integration with Secret Server Two-Factor

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

See also this thread.

Would like to see RDM extended to better work with Secret Server two-factor authentication. This *likely* involves using authenticateRadius instead of authenticate, or intelligently handling a switch between the two as appropriate.

This would let users enter in their two-factor code one time into RDM to obtain a SS API token which could then be used for the duration of the user's session (or until some predefined expiry time).

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
This is an interesting request. We haven't checked how we could do a radius integration but this is something we want to do for the next major release.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

A very good idea.
I have started using 2FA everywhere I can.

//Brandur

Clock5 yrs

I too, would like this as well.

Clock5 yrs

+1 on this, we use 2FA from HotPin with SecretServer, would be great to add this field in (pin + generated key) even if it is to be done manually.

Clock4 yrs

Agreed +1.

Clock4 yrs

I've done some investigation on this, we are trialing Duo with SS and if you use the AuthenticateRADIUS API from webservices and populate the "radiusPassword" key with the duo OTP it pulls back a valid auth token.

https://secretserveronline.com/webservices/sswebservice.asmx?op=AuthenticateRADIUS

If the RDM client could have a popup to enable entry of the OTP password to generate the token when needed that would solve this problem I believe - for Duo at least.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Thank you for the investigation. I will assign this to Hubert. I will not be able to work on this next week but soon after.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Any update on this guys?

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Is it still for Duo at first?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Yep still for Duo, however I don't think it really matters to the API what backend 2FA solution is used.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
We have requested help from Thycotic and we are waiting for their answer.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

We use AuthLite with a OTP (pin that changes every 30 seconds) for a dual factor RDP logon. To login we combine the OTP with the username username-OTP. I would love this feature. Another option is if we could just use the clip board as a variable.
I see two very workable sceneries:
Option 1) Prompt for the OTP (or anything you wish to use in a macro or variable). Then the user can be set to Username-$PromptResult$
Option 2) Let us use the clipboard content like a variable. I can easily get the pin on the clipboard. Then the username can be set to Username-$Clipboard$

This would be a very minor code change, especially option 2. I can actually make this work already by setting up all my connections as Templates. I then enter my OTP in the QuickLink field and can reference the username as Username-$QUICK_CONNECT$ and it works. This is OK if only one or two of you sessions use dual factor but it becomes cumbersome.
Meantime, since we can already use custom field values in the user name, can anyone provide how to do a macro to copy the clipboard into a custom (or any info field) field or prompt for a value and put that in the custom field? Then we can just reference that custom field.

Clock4 yrs

@David, great thanks for the update, please keep us posted on progress as this is the only sticking point for us before we can implement a full scale trial.

Clock4 yrs

Any update guys?

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
It's really a sad story. We are still waiting for an answer from Thycotic. I hope they will help us this week.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

No joy I assume? :/

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

I have received some info from them, I will send that along to Hubert.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

We have integrated and tested Secret Server's RADIUS authentication in RDM. It works with a simple RADIUS password, but the API shouldn't care about which 2FA solution is used, as Myles said.

There will be a checkbox in Secret Server credentials that will allow you to specify if you want to use RADIUS authentication, and when you need to enter your login information, there will be a field to specify the RADIUS password, or whichever else 2FA solution is setup in Secret Server.

This will be available in the next RDM beta release. We'd appreciate some feedback on the feature once it's available.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Thanks, Hubert!

Very interested in testing in your beta. When do you anticipate that being available and is there anything required to be able to participate?

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
It's already available:

https://forum.devolutions.net/topic22500-remote-desktop-manager--beta.aspx

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Hubert/David.

Got round to testing this today, works great, but a bug i've noticed:

Edit Group/Folder -> Select Credential Repository -> Select SS instance -> Select From List

There is no option for RADIUS here so the auth obviously fails, can this be added into this screen too?

Cheers,
Myles

Clock4 yrs

Another thing i've noticed, when you auth once with RADIUS, it doesn't store the token or keep the session open, instead, it creates a new connection on each item opened.

Instead RDM will try to re-auth using the same RADIUS password as last time.

This is very annoying as in the 2FA solution will always, for every new connection, show a failed auth attempt, then the user will be prompted to put in their password and RADIUS password again, and then auth succeeds.

However this happens for EVERY new session - in a playlist, it gets pretty ridiculous and irritating.

Is it possible to have the access token cached and use the same one until a re-auth is requested by SS?

(In SS we have webservices timeout set to 2 hours, so the token should be valid for that amount of time?)

Myles

Clock4 yrs

Hello Myles,

You're right, we'll work on a fix for both of these issues, thank you. I'll get back to you when the changes are made.

Regards,
edited by Hubert Mireault on 6/12/2015

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Great Hubert,

Thanks as-always for the excellent support!

Myles

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

The two changes will be available in the next RDM version: the RADIUS password will now be prompted if needed when using "Select from list" and the token will be cached and checked for validity each time, reprompting if it can't be validated.

When the next beta version is available, could you give it a shot and see if it works as expected in your scenario?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Awesome, thanks Hubert,

Will test it once i've got the update and report back with anything I find smile

Clock4 yrs

Hello Myles,

Thanks for testing it out. If you have any more issues, just tell us.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I'm curious -- could someone from Devolutions (or a user) confirm that this integration was working with Secret Server? Thycotic is telling us that the AuthenticateRADIUS call does *not* support MFA, but that doesn't sound right...

Clock4 yrs

Hi Hubert is currently on vacation but from what I know their API allows us to provide the 2-factor and that's what we have added.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs