Hi,
two years ago I was looking for two peaces of software.
First I wanted to administer my passwords and also the passwords I had to define and use at my customers site. With at least one of them there was the need to share this data so they could search this data.
Second I wanted a new solution to collect all my definitions for all of my remote sessions - most of them targeting my customers. So it made sense to put all session password into the password solution.

After research I found PVM and RDM would perfectly fit together. But now running this solution for two years I often wonder if this pair is realy ment to work together.

• Everytime I setup a new "contact" I wonder where to define it. A computer for example - mostly use on connection but also often bound to a person.
  • PVM has beomce more capable over time but it look like RDM has ever been PVM plus more. So maybe I don't realy need these two site by site on one computer. Can RDM directly connect to PVM databases?
  • As I don't wont my special customer to share all the passwords I use but only the ones bound to there site, I had to build at least two datasources.
    Using different sessions (for example connecting to a forum while supporting) I have to switch the PWM-sources manually. One solution would be to set up another password-software so RDM can use different channels to retrieve passwords. Or I have to store some password directly in RDM.
So you see what I am heading at. Despite the fact the PVM is the little brother (or sister) of RDM there are better playmates for RDM ...
But maybe I got something wrong or missed an evolution in the last to years. Anyhow, I am looking forward to your comments,
Jogi

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
You are absolutely right. RDM contains every features of PVM. To be honest PVM is built on the same Core than RDM but with a more limited UI. The database is 100% compatible (in fact it's exactly the same structure).

So the question is why use PVM? It's pretty simple. It's only if you don't need to open any connections or if you want to split your credentials from your connections.

From what I understand, I don't think you need PVM. RDM will be a perfect fit. Indeed most people are looking for a pasword management tool while what they really need is a connection management tool like RDM.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

As my customer doesn't need the session functionality I had choosen PVM as sufficient.

Can I use my RDM installation to access the PVM database?

Clock4 yrs

Yes you can.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Ok, so I could connect to the customers PVM-db (cdb for shortness) with RDM, but:
- I'll have to upgrade cdb. Will the customer still have access without updating software?
- My session-db ist separated from the cdb. Putting this into RDM it doubt I could set my sessions to use credentials from another datasource. RDM would have to access two sources simultanously ...

What about working with two or more password datasource. Putting these into RDM will bring up the same questions as above. Leaving them in PVM implies that I have to switch betweens these source manually. Depending on the connection I want to use or the customer I am working for.

Clock4 yrs