Forum / Password Vault Manager - Bug Report

Do data shown

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

After installing the latest Remote Desktop Manager my Password Vault Manager. Doesn't show any database content.

Password Vault Manager 5.1.0.0
Remote Desktopn Mananger 9.9.4.0

I have two different data sources: a local xml file and a Microsoft Sql Server. Connection-tests to the server and db are running without any error.

Clock6 yrs

Could you try the latest PVM beta?

http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.PasswordVaultManager.Bin.5.9.1.0.zip
http://download.devolutions.net/Setup.PasswordVaultManager.5.9.1.0.exe

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Unfortunately one of the Databases is running at one of my customers. There Licenses run out of maintenance. So there environment is kind of stuck to this version.
As I don't want to risk any database updates I would stay at this version. Otherwise I might get the situation that my customer looses access.

Maybe it would help to reinstall PVM. But if the problem results on shared libraries i would trade a running PVM with a defect in RDM.

Clock6 yrs

You could verify the application logs to see if it's an incompatibility issue. The database structure has not changed but maybe you use some new types. What PVM version do they use?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

This is why I actually did not update my version, though I posses an "active" license.

Both sides are running 5.1.0.0

Clock6 yrs

Do you see anything in the Application Logs? Just for a test could you try PVM 6 trial to see if it resolve the issue. This will help me to find the problem.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The Application Logs have been empty (i.e. only old entries).

Actually I am running a reinstall of version 5.1.0.0.

With your proposal in mind I assume that the database will run with both versions of PVM

Clock6 yrs

Ok, things are getting more weired ...
In sync with my customer my upgrade period ended in May.
Though my installation stated to be version 5.1.0.0 I now can not run this version anymore. After re-installing this version I get the advice to downgrade.
Downgrading with 5.0.5.0 has to be forced in any way, because it refuses the installation seeing version 5.1.0.0.

As from my other post - i might get my RDM (with active licence) to connect to the data-source. How can I extract the source definitions if I am actually not able to start my PVM?

Clock6 yrs

You can request a trial key for PVM:

http://passwordvaultmanager.com/Home/Trial

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Thanks, a trial key will help me to export the settings of the datasource.

Is there a way to force a downgrade (5.1 -> 5.0) so that I don't have to deinstall first?

How could it be that the info of my last running version stated v5.1 while installing this version fails. Maybe a beta or RC before the official release?

Jogi

Clock6 yrs

I just found an announcement of version 5.1 posted by Maxime in March.

So it looks like there has changed something "inside". I must have installed v5.1 between March and May and at that time this went well.

Now the same version (or a minor update) refuses to run with my license ...

Jogi

Clock6 yrs

Now I am running on trial.

But without access, as PVM now wants to upgrade my db from v91 to v93. Otherwise I won't be able to use the datasource ...

I don't dare this one as I want to ensure that my customer will still have access.

Jogi

Clock6 yrs

Here is the script to update the database:

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE name = 'IX_ConnectionLog_UserInfoID' AND object_id = OBJECT_ID('ConnectionLog'))
BEGIN
create nonclustered index IX_ConnectionLog_UserInfoID on [dbo].[ConnectionLog] (UserInfoID)
END");

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE name = 'IX_ConnectionLog_CustomerID' AND object_id = OBJECT_ID('ConnectionLog'))
BEGIN
create nonclustered index IX_ConnectionLog_CustomerID on [dbo].[ConnectionLog] (CustomerID)
END");

You could update the databaseversion field in the databaseinfo to the current number

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Updating the database was not an issue. PVM would have done this for me.
(this was is taken from RDM but PVM said exactly the same)

I just did not want to loose connection for the clients running at my customers place.
Sorry, but this point is still unanswered - I might take assumptions out of your answer.

But back to my case.
- I managed to get back to the state I had before updating RDM.
- All of the licensing problems I had where selfmade - somehow I must have installed v6 instead of v5.1
- With the trial key I regained access and exported my config - escapially the datasource definitions
- Back to 5.1 (uninstalling v6) I didn't even need to import the old setting.

So for now I can inspect all the sources again - I also restartet software and changed the sources several times.

Next I will update RDM to v10 and check if this step will change my PVM experience again.
edited by Jogiwer on 9/24/2014
edited by Jogiwer on 9/24/2014

Clock6 yrs

Good news (at least for me).

Installing RDM v10 did not break my PVM.

So summing up all the posts: reinstall to make it work again!

Clock6 yrs

Ok,
I posted the SQL to show you that the update were only indexes and not the table structure.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Using the older version of PVM again the database upgrade message didn't show up again.

But now I just wanted to test how RDM would connect to the datasource. As my RDM is up to date (v10) the update message is back ...

Though you stated with the SQL that the difference would functionally do no harm to the database I still have to assume that the older PVM clients could still query the database.

As PVM and RDM are checking the version of the datasource there might be an impact if the datasource is newer than the questioned version (i.e. v93 vs. v91).

Clock6 yrs

Yes RDM 10 will detect that an upgrade is required. You can go in the File->Options (Advanced) and disable the limitation. You will still receive the error message but you will be able to continue with the same data source.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

OK, thanks for your answer. So I can "help" RDM to work with the old datasource by setting "allow non upgraded data source".

But I still would like to see my question answered: will PVM v5.1 refuse to work with the upgraded data source as it will seek v91 and find v93.

Thanks in advance,
Jogi

Clock6 yrs

What message do you get exactly from PVM?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

None, as I didn't dare this step. I wanted to be sure in advance.

If I would have to check this out on my own, I would create a local test data source in PVM upgrade it with RDM and then connect again with PVM.
After this I would backup the productive data source and check this out.

Jogi

Clock6 yrs