Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Active Directory Management

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,
Would it be possible to request an add-in to manage Active Directory Users and Computers within RDM?

Clock7 yrs

What type of feature would you like to have?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

If one could open pre-configured MMC windows embedded in RDM, now that would actually resolve what #jasonallenthomas is asking for and one could open a lot of other MMC tasks inside RDM without logging onto for example a Active Directory server.

I do believe that in order to get AD(and other) functions on Windows 7. You have to install: http://snippetsandhelp.blogspot.com/2011/01/installing-active-directory-tools-under.html

Great idea #jasonallenthomas smile

//Brandur

Clock7 yrs

Exactly UggaBugga. ThxUggaBugga wrote:

If one could open pre-configured MMC windows embedded in RDM, now that would actually resolve what #jasonallenthomas is asking for and one could open a lot of other MMC tasks inside RDM without logging onto for example a Active Directory server.

I do believe that in order to get AD(and other) functions on Windows 7. You have to install: http://snippetsandhelp.blogspot.com/2011/01/installing-active-directory-tools-under.html

Great idea #jasonallenthomas smile

Clock7 yrs

Are you able to open it embedded with the command line session type?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I was looking for more of a GUI. Similar to Dameware NT.

Clock7 yrs

When I try to run "mmc UNCpath\GPO_Editor.msc" in an embedded Command Line RDM session, the saved MMC session opens on my other monitor and RDM display's the following error "Unable to execute the application!: "mmc""
If I could get this MMC windows to open as a embedded session in RDM, I would be very happy smile
Any ideas David?

The same goes actually for the already present Session Tools - Event Viewer/Services under RDP sessions. I wish I could have them open as embedded sessions and not externally as they do now(should be a option if this was possible).
MMC command-line options: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757725%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
<em>edited by UggaBugga on 4/13/2012</em>

//Brandur

Clock7 yrs

I was able to embed the Computer Management Console. You need to run RDM as Administrator and also check the Run in 64 Bits option. Could you try this with GPO_Editor.msc?
<em>edited by dhervieux on 4/13/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Ok. I do not receive the error any more, but the embedded session shows only a black window and my saved MMC session "GPO_Editor.msc" opens on my second monitor(just as it did before).
As soon as I close the external MMC session "GPO_Editor.msc", the embedded window closes as well(just as expected).
I'm running version 7.0.4.0.

P.S. If you could add/enable embedded pictures to the forums, it would be much easier to post with screenshots and so forth. A picture says more then a thousand words smile

//Brandur

Clock7 yrs

You can post a picture on the forum. Just add an attachment and add the tag (you will see them after you have added the attachment)
where you want to post your picture. Could you try with compmgmt.msc because this one works for me
<em>edited by dhervieux on 4/13/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I'l try with inline-images.
As you can see on the screenshots, it does not open as embedded wink
Any ideas?

compmgmt
not embedded

//Brandur

not_embedded.JPG
compmgmt.JPG
Clock7 yrs

Could you verify that RDM is also started with the Run As Administrator?
<em>edited by dhervieux on 4/14/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

compmgmt is working on my site, but gpedit.msc isn't.
doesn't matter if I lunch RDM as Administrator or not

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Could you verify that RDM is also started with the Run As Administrator?
edited by dhervieux on 4/14/2012

Unfortunately the same happens when I open RDM in Administrator mode.
It does not matter if I open "compmgmt.msc" or a self-saved .msc file.

Is there any debugging I can turn on, so I can provide you with a log file of some sort?

//Brandur

Clock7 yrs

Hi guys,
I have made a small tweaking. Could you try the updated version there:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.7.0.4.0.zip

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi guys,
I have made a small tweaking. Could you try the updated version there:
http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.7.0.4.0.zip

Hi David
I tried this tweaked version and unfortunately it didn't work.
Thanks for the effort tho.

Any more ideas?

//Brandur

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
I have update the binaries again and you can now set the Embeded Wait time value in the command line session properties. Could you try to set it to 2000 (2sec). This is a long delay but I just want to make sure that it's not a sync problem.
<em>edited by dhervieux on 4/17/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I tried with embedded wait time set to 2000ms. It did not work.
When I opened the "compmgmt.msc" session in RDM, the external MMC window opened right away on my second screen and the empty gray embedded session in RDM respected the wait timer.
2000ms
2000ms

I'd have no problem letting you remote control my pc, to try for your self. I would just really like to have this working.

//Brandur

2000ms.JPG
Clock7 yrs

Hi,
With this settings, have you tried to execute RDM with the Run As Administrator? I'm not sure what I could do for now by taking control of your PC.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
with you latest binaries the embedded session works for all mmc snap-ins and it doesn't matter if i lunch RDM normal or with "run as admin"...
also i don't need to check the "run as Administrator" setting in the session and it still works if i set the wait time to 1ms
But it does not work if i try to use a mmc snap-in as session script tool, do you have any idea?
<em>edited by Xanacas on 4/23/2012</em>

Clock7 yrs