Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Request for better ssh client integration/add on

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

What ssh/terminal client do you recommend for use with RDM?

I have been using RDM for a couple years now in conjunction with SecureCRT/FX as my terminal client. I really like RDM but I have never been happy with the level of integration with RDM and SecureCRT so in the past I have just worked around it. I use SecureCRT both as a VPN (with SSH Port Tunneling) and as a terminal shell client. In RDM the current SecureCRT addon does nothing more than launch the SecureCRT application, I have never even been able to get it to use a tab inside of RDM and again I have just worked around it by having all SSH clients in SecureCRT and everything else in RDM. I have asked about the status of this addon in the past and was always told that you were planning on coming back to it and developing more but if I remember correctly the securecrt "api" or cli didnt allow you to do much more than what was already implemented.

I have tried the integrated "SSH Shell" option and I have a show stopper of an issue using this as my alternative, I connect to many nix servers that use two factor RSA secureid authentication. The SSH Shell is unable to log into these servers. It uses my name and password fine but always errors when the server requests my RSA passcode. I have also tried the Putty integration. Personally I think putty is pretty terrible as a ssh client but "good enough" in a pinch. The show stopper issue I run into with using putty and RDM is putty has a hard limit on how many SSH tunnels it can utilize over a single connection. After I give it about 25 tunnels its buffer fills up and will not allow me to add any more. Kitty shares this same bug.

I see you created a VPN addon for Bitvise Tunnelier and I recently gave it a whirl, my complaint is that it only serves as the VPN (ssh tunneling piece) and does not integrate as an SSH client. Honestly, its not that heartbreaking since the ssh client in tunnelier doesnt seem all that robust or awesome anyway. If you want to know the best ssh/terminal client in windows in my opinion is SecureCRT (very expensive) and Xshell (free for home/school use)

I am sorry, its been a long day already and this post is starting to run on without much point other than my complaining which wasnt my intent. I guess I am requesting:

1) make the built in ssh shell option much more robust with port forwarding tunnels that work correctly (better than putty) and allow it to handle two factor authentication (This might be a bug you were not aware of)
or
2) could you improve the securecrt addon so that it can be used in a tab and also like a vpn addon (similar to the tunnelier addon)?
or
3) the ultimate solution in my opinion, create a addon for xshell and xftp that integrates the applications with RDM as both a SSH/SFTP client replacement and VPN (again like you did with the tunnelier addon)

my number 3 request basically just pins on the hopes that since xshell is a different application than securecrt that you will be able to make a better addon for it that integrates more completely.
<em>edited by amlucent on 3/14/2012</em>

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
I apologize for our SecureCRT integration. Like you already know we are limited by them. We have tried to make it open embedded but it does not work at all. However we could add the VPN functionality I think. André will look at it soon.

For the RSA passcode, have you tried to communicate with André to see if he can do something with that? Maybe we can find out the problem and fix it. Again, we rely on a third party but at least we can communicate with them.

Finally for xshell, do you know if we can call the application in command line?

Thank you for you comments

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I dont think I have had any dealings with Andre. I believe the only devolution's representative I have ever talked to on here was yourself. I can certainly inform and submit any data required to resolve the two factor authenitcation bug with ssh shell option.

For xshell, it does seem to have command line options for you to use to create an addon:

http://www.netsarang.com/forum/xshell/175/Starting_xshell_from_the_command_line

This may also be of use:

http://www.netsarang.com/docs/xshell4_manual.pdf

Additionally there is a .chm file that installs with the application that has an entire section about using an API (sounds promising to me) and a whole listing in the "Reference" section of all the local xshell ssh, telnet, sftp and scp commands for invoking use from the cmd line. I would attach it but I dont know if I should redistribute it.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

I added the VPN option in the SecureCRT Add-on.
Could you please try it and give me some feedback ?
I don't have the configuration here to test it properly.

Please take note that I will be out of the office until Monday.

Regards

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

SecureCRT1.5.0.0.zip
Clock7 yrs

Hi,

About RSA SecurID authentication, how is it implemented in putty ? Do you have to set something or it is entirely automatic ?
Could you describe the usual steps in putty when connecting to a nix server that use two factor RSA securid authentication.

Thanks!

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

Our beta version now contains a "better ssh client" but has not been tested properly.
We don't have the appropriate setting here.
It should handles the RSA securid authentication request of the nix servers now.
Could you test it please and give us feedback ?

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.7.0.4.0.zip

Thanks

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Sorry I have been out for the past few weeks on vacation. I will test this package and report back with my findings. Thanks!

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

Welcome back, I hope you enjoyed your vacations.

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs