Forum / Password Vault Manager - Support

client keeps needing master key

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I've got a problem with some of my client installations. Every few days when the user starts PVM, it asks them to put in the master key. One thing I have noticed is that the users that are effected are on virtual PCs. Does PVM support vmware installations? I've tried reinstalling the program but I get the same issue.

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
Do you mean the PVM license key? What data source type do you use? You are no supposed to have an issue on a vmware installation.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

No it's the master key. That's what's so strange. I go and re-input the key and I can close PVM and reopen it with no problem but then a few days later the prompt for the master key comes up again. We are using a sql backend.

Clock5 yrs

Could you send me a print screen of the dialog you get to enter the master key?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

here is the screen they get every few times they use pvm. It asks for the master passphrase.

pvm.png
Clock5 yrs

Ok,
It must be because his user profile is reset. Do you use the roaming profiles?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

We don't use roaming profiles but these people are on virtual PCs. We are using persistent desktops in a vmware environment.
edited by sviscardi on 6/12/2014

Clock5 yrs

Could it be possible that the configuration is reset?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I'll take a look at it. We have some other virtual PCs that are having the same problem. We use persistent profiles so I don't know what could be causing it. thanks for looking at it. Do you have a web based version?

Clock5 yrs

We have RDMO which is a web based repository but it's only an online data store. It's not possible to view the credentials from the web and you need RDM or PVM installed.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Okay thanks. I think we are going to go with a web based product. Almost half of our users are virtual terminals. Thanks again.

Clock5 yrs

No problem, I can suggest you Secret Server or Password State. You will have a web interface, plus you will also be able to use with RDM.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Hi Guest,
Do you mean the passphrase? It's possible to store it in the registry. Contact the support email for more details.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs