Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

New connection form

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I dont believe this is a feature already, so please forgive me ...

I would like to migrate my MSP/helpdesk to Remote Desktop Manager, and have been able to prove the utility of the application to Management. However, we have not used a tool like this before, so we do not have a pre-existing database to import; I am not looking forward to adding all of our connections manually.

Would it be possible to use some sort of form based data entry? Something that connects to the database directly and can add a connection in a simple fashion.

My goal is to integrate RDM with a SharePoint site, so connections can be added or modified using workflows. Perhaps something using Microsoft Infopath product?

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
We have added in our internal build the possibility to import from a csv. I'm not that it will help but the other possibility is to link our database with your. The data is simple and it's an Xml. Let me know what you think.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

We are planning to use Microsoft SQL 2008 for the database. Is there any documentation on how the database needs to be linked?

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
unfortunately we don't have this document but if you take a look at the database structure you will see that it's very simple. I will be able to help you if you have any specific question.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

I found a tool that can sync between Sharepoint Lists and SQL databases, but I'm not sure the best way to extract the data in a useful way...

Can you provide an example of a query string or select statement to your SQL database that extracts relevant data?

If it helps, here's an example export of a fully configured RDP session

<Connection>
<ConnectionType>RDPConfigured</ConnectionType>
<CredentialConnectionID>37045440-6720-43b3-abcf-bcc88f62c4f4</CredentialConnectionID>
<Description>SERVERNAME-SRV</Description>
<Events />
<Group>ABC [ABC Company]\AUB</Group>
<ID>78b2bcb9-1094-4457-8275-17f6e0c63361</ID>
<MetaInformation>
<CustomField1Title>PRTG ID</CustomField1Title>
<CustomField1Value>11806</CustomField1Value>
<Expiration d4p1:nil="true" xmlns:d4p1="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" />
<IsVirtualMachine>true</IsVirtualMachine>
<ServerHomePageUrl>https://www.monitoringurl.com/device.htm?id=$CUSTOM_FIELD1$</ServerHomePageUrl>
</MetaInformation>
<Name>MONITORINGNAME</Name>
<OpenEmbedded>true</OpenEmbedded>
<RDP>
<RedirectedDrives>
<string>%HOMEDRIVE%</string>
</RedirectedDrives>
</RDP>
<SoundHook>DoNotPlay</SoundHook>
<Stamp>8e8cd603-7fc0-4045-b459-843944c36f7c</Stamp>
<Url>192.168.24.78</Url>
<UsesSerialPorts>false</UsesSerialPorts>
</Connection>
</ArrayOfConnection>
<em>edited by mofunz on 12/9/2011</em>

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
If you open the database with Select ID, Data from From Connections. You will see that the Xml you got from the export is found in the column data.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Excellent - thank you.

My (hopefully) last question: What are the GUID considerations when having an outside database insert new connections? If that part of the XML is left blank in my form, will RDM manage that for me?

Clock7 yrs

RDM will create a new default Guid if it's not in the XML but it will be a different Guid each time making this harder to retrieve a specific session

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

What is the best way to have a 3rd party create a new connection?

Clock7 yrs

Generate the Xml directly and insert it in the database.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs