Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

After Login Commands

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Two part request

I would like to include "after login commands" within the saved credentials.

I would also like to be able to edit the after login commands via batch edit.

thank you! It is an awesome application!

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
Is it only for Putty or for any type of application?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Putty is the only application I can think of to use it for.

Clock8 yrs

Is it only because you want to include a password in the After command?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

In some cases yes. I would also use it for

- moving to "enable" mode on a Cisco device
- enacting "super user" mode in Linux
- advance through menu prompt on a number of firewall platforms.

Clock7 yrs

I would like to be able to do this as well. Was there any update on this?

Clock6 yrs

+1
We would like to do a "su -" with a second credential object.
edited by Peter Cermak (POI) on 11/14/2013

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
For the su- with the second credentials, you could use the custom variable in the information tab

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

How do i fill the custom variable with a field from a SecretServer Secret?

Clock6 yrs

You want the session to read the credential custom variable? What I was suggesting was to put the password value in the session custom variable but I don't think it's what you want, isn't?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

All our Password are safelystored in SecretServer, i could not want to put Root Passwords anywhere eslse, especially since the passwords can be changed from SecretServer automatically on demand.

In fact i want the session to first open the ssh connection with CredentialNORMALUSER then enter su- in the opened Session und type in the the Password field from CredentialROOT.

We could (should be testet for this case) use a Powershell script to retrieve the Password from SecretServer, but this would be quite slow, since the persons in question are Linux Admins (some with XP clients without powershell) and Powershell takes quite some time to start due to loading the .net-framework at startup (as we all know).

Clock6 yrs

Ok,
What I think we could do is include a credential to a macro/script/tool. This macro could be executed manually right after the connection. I will think about it but I have few ideas. You scenario makes a lot of sense.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Any news on this?

Clock5 yrs

It's not implemented yet but I will do my best to squeeze that in RDM 9.5

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

It's not implemented yet but I will do my best to squeeze that in RDM 9.5

We hope, there is enough spacetime to squeeze it in Cool

Clock5 yrs

Push :-)

Clock5 yrs

I will work on this today but could we resume what would be the solution? I think that I could just add $TOOL_USERNAME$ and $TOOL_PASSWORD$. This will access the credentials from tools.

What do you think?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Yes, this looks practiblae.
Then we use batch edit to put a Tools-Credential from the Repository (SecretServer) and Edit the after login commands. <- Right?

Clock5 yrs

Hi David,
Unfortunately the variable $TOOL_PASSWORD$ does NOT work!

We tried with SecretServer first and thought that it's maybe a problem with cascading Hostnames or something...

Then we tried entering the passwrod directly into theTools-custom credential field, but an after login command

echo $TOOL_PASSWORD$
shows only "echo " in the putty window.

btw. "su-" does not use a Username, only the Password. And it's working when we enter the pwd in a custom field.

su-
$COMPANY_CUSTOM_FIELD1$

is working correctly.

Could you please have a look at this - and maybe verify it's working with Credential entries (best from SecretServer).

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I have verified and I think I know what could be your issue. Make sure that Allow password variable is also checked in the credential entry. This is a security feature to make sure that nobody is able to echo an entry if you don't want to.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thank you, David! It's working as expected. :-)

Another question regarding this Workflow:
How do i change Subconnections? (Batch Edit, Powershell,...)
We have a structure like this:
Server1
- Server1 root
- Server1 SFTP

And i would like to configure all Subconnections "ServerX root" to work like this.
We only found a click-storm as solution for this ...

Clock5 yrs

Unfortunately we don't support the batch edit for sub connection yet. I hope to have something eventually.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Is there any way to send a single Linebreak as an after login command?
We need this to enter an empty RSA-Passphrase which only accepts linebreak.
We tried "more commands" but this just moves the text entered here into the command 1..4. And it ignores "empty" lines.

Clock5 yrs

I'm not sure if it's possible. We might have to create a special key for that. The {Enter} does not work?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thank you David, {Enter} is working.

Since it's not obvious (i thought of <Enter>wink, this information could be integrated into the "View Variable List" function in the GUI. Maybe a Tab "Special Characters".

Clock5 yrs

I will add an help button beside the textbox. I can't add this to the variable since those special keys are only available in script.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs