Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

VPN - check cisco vpn to see if already connected

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Currently there does not seem to be a good mechanism to see if the vpn is already connected, there is the ping and connect if not pingable and then there is the ping custom but I would like to see something that checks to see if I am connected to a vpn connection already and what vpn I am connected to, then possibly come back and tell me "hey, your already connected to XXX" do you want to disconnect and reconnect to YYY?" I know that you can run the vpnclient stat and get the below information, it would just be a matter of parsing through to find "YABBADABBA" and I am sure you could figure out the rest.

VPN tunnel information.
Connection Entry: YABBADABBA
Client address: 192.168.101.234
Server address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Encryption: 168-bit 3-DES
Authentication: HMAC-SHA
IP Compression: None
NAT passthrough is active on port UDP 4500
Local LAN Access is disabled

Personal Firewall: None
Firewall Policy: None

VPN traffic summary.
Time connected: 0 day(s), 00:37.55
Bytes in: 1994317
Bytes out: 495180
Packets encrypted: 4803
Packets decrypted: 5075
Packets bypassed: 22111
Packets discarded: 3

Configured routes.
Secured Network Destination Netmask
192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.0.0 255.255.240.0

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
This is interesting. I would have to do some test but I just want to confirm that this is for Cisco VPN and not Cisco AnyConnect?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

c:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client>vpnclient.exe
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440
Copyright (C) 1998-2010 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Client Type(s): Windows, WinNT
Running on: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Config file directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

Usage:
vpnclient connect <profile> [user <username>] [eraseuserpwd | pwd <password>]
[domain <domainname>]
[nocertpwd] [cliauth] [stdin] [sd]
vpnclient disconnect
vpnclient stat [reset] [traffic] [tunnel] [route] [firewall] [repeat]
vpnclient notify
vpnclient verify [autoinitconfig]
vpnclient suspendfw
vpnclient resumefw

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
This is interesting. I would have to do some test but I just want to confirm that this is for Cisco VPN and not Cisco AnyConnect?

Clock8 yrs

Another thing that could be added would be something like under the session dashboard where you have connect, open session, etc. if you could think about adding in another which would be open session with vpn, or even as a way to select the default per remote desktop manager that would be nice.

Clock8 yrs

Hi Chris,
I don't understand your last request

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

I work at other customers sites quite a bit and need to be able to connect to another customer but most of them have the same ip address scheme in place, so the open vpn if you cannot ping does not work very well. It would be nice to be able to have another option to open session with vpn just like you have open session without vpn and open session vpn only. that way we can set the vpn to manually and still have the option to select open session with vpn. Does that explain a bit better?

Another thing I thought of would be something that would allow you to set the defaults per client/user that would allow them to select what pressing enter/double clicking did. (does it open the session as it is configured, open session with vpn, or even open session without vpn).

chris.mathis wrote:

Another thing that could be added would be something like under the session dashboard where you have connect, open session, etc. if you could think about adding in another which would be open session with vpn, or even as a way to select the default per remote desktop manager that would be nice.

Clock8 yrs

So by adding something like "Open VPN and Session" will resolve your issue?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

That will resolve one of the issues yes, though the other two were more like enhancements, like checking to see if the vpn connection already exists, before trying to do a ping, via the vpnclient.exe stat and the ability to change the action on double click/enter, would not be.
David Hervieux wrote:

So by adding something like "Open VPN and Session" will resolve your issue?

Clock8 yrs

What would you want on double click?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Open session Without VPN
Open session
Open session with VPN

David Hervieux wrote:

What would you want on double click?

Clock8 yrs